The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G ECUs and caps leakage

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twdorris

Supporting Vendor
Feb 13, 2003
Frederick, Maryland
We're starting to see more and more 2G ECUs with damage from caps leakage come through here. Most just need to be cleaned up and have the caps replaced. But some are damaged to the point of really needing some decent repair to corroded tracks or broken via connections.

If you've got a 2G ECU, it wouldn't be a bad idea to open up the case and check it out. The following page provides some details on what to look for. Check them carefully as 2G leakage (and even 2G damage) tends to be far more subtle than 1G.

corrosion2g01 [ECMTuning - wiki]

Just about every 1G ECU, of course, still needs to be checked. Any 1G ECU made before '94 is doomed to fail at some point if you haven't replaced the caps. It's just a matter of when.

Thomas Dorris
ECMTuning, Inc.

I remember reading somewhere that you guys were replacing the caps on the 1g ECU's for free when doing the socket service. Are you thinking of doing the same for 2g ECU's in light of this new information? Perhaps when you upgrade from v2 to v3?

Just a thought.

Damn, DSM'ers always trying to get something for free. :D

I remember reading somewhere that you guys were replacing the caps on the 1g ECU's for free when doing the socket service. Are you thinking of doing the same for 2g ECU's in light of this new information?
We've been replacing caps on the 2Gs too for at least a few months now. So, yeah, we're doing that.

Thomas Dorris

Ok, perfect. Thanks. I'll have to pull my ECU when I get the car out of storage.
If your profile location is accurate, you're only about 1.5 hours away from us. Planning to run it down for an upgrade in person? We have several good restaurants nearby... :sneaky:

Thomas Dorris

You guys could count me in.... I was planning on making a trip down there anyway... I smell a group cruise coming...

You guys could count me in.... I was planning on making a trip down there anyway... I smell a group cruise coming...
Sounds like we need to plan to have a grill and some food on hand. :)

Thomas Dorris

Are plastic case (98-99) ecus serviceable in the same manner than a 95 ECU would be?
No, sorry, they are not. We keep thinking about doing something for those, but given how different that ECU is from the '95, it would basically be yet another complete re-write of everything as we did for V3. So support for those ECUs, if it comes, will be a long time from now.

Thomas Dorris
ECMTuning, Inc.

I'm sorry. I may have been unclear. I should have used a different term than "serviceable" considering the ECU "services" that you offer. What I meant was can the 98-99 ecus be repaired and have their caps replaced, not unlike other years? Sorry if there was any confusion. Unless it really would take an ECM tuning v4 to replace the caps in those!:p

What I meant was can the 98-99 ecus be repaired and have their caps replaced, not unlike other years?
Oh, I understand. The '98/'99 ECUs are considerably different. Their entire construction is different. However, there is one surface mount electrolytic capacitor on that board that can potentially leak. We don't have any data on when/if they do on these ECUs, though, because we rarely see them through here as you might expect. If someone suspects that one cap might be leaking on their '98/'99, it can be replaced by surface mounting a standard 47uF/50v axial lead capacitor in its place.

Thomas Dorris

We should really get a bbq started.... An ecm tuning bbq... That would be crazy... Everyone chips in a couple of bucks for food and drinks and we can have a NICE day...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back