The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved 2G Car Won't start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnybies

Probationary Member
Jun 9, 2010
Blaine, Minnesota
I know you guys get this "car won't start" alot but this one i just can't figure out. I've had a couple different DSMers check this out and tis just confusing.

So here i go...

I go to try and turn car over. nothing happens i can hear fuel pump working, but nothing happens. It doesn't even try to turn over. I got new starter. Nothing. New starter relay. Nothing. So it has to be an ignition problem or clutch/ignition problem. I'm getting Frustrated :mad:

i'm deploying in a couple of months and just want to drive my baby before i leave.

Please help :(

Last edited by a moderator:
It's always good to diagnose before buying parts. Always follow the KISS rule.(Keep it simple stupid):)

When you try to crank it, do you hear anything like a click or the solenoid plunger being actuated? If you hear just a click the problem would be the battery, the main solenoid contacts, the battery terminals, or the cables. Corrosion in your cables would also cause the problem. Even though the cables look okay on the outside they could have corrosion under the insuator. I would pull it back about a half inch to check.

If the solenoid cannot be heard, then the problem could be a faulty solenoid, or burnt fusible link.

Check these things out and let us know what you find and we will go from there.

Well i needs a new starter anyway so that wasn't money wasted. relays are cheap got mine for free actually :D and i don't here anything i here the fuel pump working but nothing else. i probe tested there the starter relay it plugged in and all the wires tested good except the green/blue. the light tooks like 2 second to turn on then was very very very dim. i believe that is the ignition wire if im reading the wiring diagram correctly.

check with your light to see if there is power at the small electrical connector that connects to your starter while holding the key in the start position. if it doesnt light up then let us know. also if you have a multimeter or can acquire one it will be much easier for dsm'ers on this site to help you diagnose this problem and other problems you may have in the future. a test light is handy but it wont tell you if you have enough power in the battery to actuate relays effectively. You need to test your battery with a volt meter first and foremost. GOOD ADVICE MEGASKILLZ

check with your light to see if there is power at the small electrical connector that connects to your starter while holding the key in the start position. if it doesnt light up then let us know. also if you have a multimeter or can acquire one it will be much easier for dsm'ers on this site to help you diagnose this problem and other problems you may have in the future. a test light is handy but it wont tell you if you have enough power in the battery to actuate relays effectively. You need to test your battery with a volt meter first and foremost. GOOD ADVICE MEGASKILLZ

Thanks Rabenne. Just trying to help a fellow dsmer. I had similar problems with mine at one point and was a pita to figure out.

To the OP keep us posted on your findings after using the multimeter.

OK so i have power to the larger wire on the solenoid but not the small one that goes on the tab.

Fixed it!!!!

Didn't have the solenoid electric connector in all the way :/ sorry guys LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back