The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

car wont start!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemist

Probationary Member
Sep 11, 2009
chicago, Illinois
I just bought a new battery for my car cause my old one died and when i tried starting it, it doesn't start. It doesn't even crank like the battery isn't there. But when i put the old one in the electronics work but doesn't start. I dont know if its my alternator or starter or whatever i just want to get my car out of the schools parking lot!! PLEASE HELP!!

Take it back and get another. Also did you hook it up right. Different batteries swap the position of the + and - posts. make sure its not one of those. Make sure all your conections are good to.

I just bought a new battery for my car cause my old one died and when i tried starting it, it doesn't start. It doesn't even crank like the battery isn't there. But when i put the old one in the electronics work but doesn't start. I dont know if its my alternator or starter or whatever i just want to get my car out of the schools parking lot!! PLEASE HELP!!

If your battery has a charge it will still turn the car over and should start, even if your alternator is bad.

Hook up jumper cables and see if it starts. If it does than you can rule out your starter.

My guess would be the new battery you have is worthless and doesn't hold a charge or its not hooked up right. The electronics do not even come on with the new battery?

when i put in the new battery nothing comes on. I had someone putting jumper cables on the new battery, the electronics comes on but still doesn't start

if it won't crank over don't start ripping out your starter just yet man, id hate to find out that wasn't it after all that work. grab a DMM (digital multimeter) and check the voltage at the battery (14 to 15V) then the voltage across the starter, it should read 11 to 12V. if the battery and starter are checking good then pull the starter and take it down to autozone to get it tested. you could still have a bad alternator but with a fully charged battery your motor should still turn over.

:dsm:

I would check the S terminal on the starter itself. Its the smaller gauged wire. Or take a jumper wire and jump battery voltage right to the S terminal and see if it turns over the engine. Make sure you don't have it in gear of course. If it turns over while jumping battery voltage to the S terminal then you can rule out battery and starter and then your problem is in the signal circuit of the starter. (ignition switch,relay ect...)

I don't recommend taking the starter to autozone, because when you have a starter turning over a engine you have 150+ amps going through the starter circuit. While there bench test with no load on the starter may only be 10amps... You will have a greater voltage drop with more current in the circuit. There test is more of a static test then it is a dynamic.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back