The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2g Ball Joint Lower Lateral Control Arm Recall [ merged ]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97dsmbishi

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 9, 2002
Miami_FL_but_stationed_in_Montgomery_AL
All 2g ball joint recall threads are merged here.

guys just called dealership about transfercase recall...they said i didn't have any on my model, but the ball joint on the front suspension set did. anyone have any info on this? i'm getting mine replaced on tuesday, can't beat it since they will do the install for free. just a heads up guys, hope this is useful!
phil

Yes. I had my eibachs and Tokico's when mine was done.

Both times :rolleyes:

They may also tell you that they can't do the recall and give you an excuse that you have an aftermarket suspension, or that your warranty is up. They MUST do the recall, for free, forever.

what if the dealership is giving you a really hard time and says they wont do it :thumbdown

RamenPride said:
it's my understanding that as long as the car is on the road that the recall is still good

Once they do it its' done.

Ever try to get the X-fer recall done more than once. ALot of hassle.

Unless the car breaks because the recall was performed impropely. once they do it, it's done.

2gtalonman said:
what if the dealership is giving you a really hard time and says they wont do it :thumbdown

You have to tell them it's a factory mandated recall they have to perform it because if the car breaks you can sue. You may have to call corporate but they have to do it.

L2RTSiAWD said:
You have to tell them it's a factory mandated recall they have to perform it because if the car breaks you can sue. You may have to call corporate but they have to do it.

yay this means tomarrow I get to go down to mitsu and get new stuff!! :thumb:

L2RTSiAWD said:
Once they do it its' done.

Ever try to get the X-fer recall done more than once. ALot of hassle.

Unless the car breaks because the recall was performed impropely. once they do it, it's done.

is there anyway to tell if the ball joint recall was 'performed improperly' because my car was up on the lift yesterday, and the mechanic was pointing out the play in the joints as well as the seepage coming out, but mitsu told me that they already did the recall. and i really really dont want to pay for this. PLUS, my car is a 99, so how long ago could it really have been done, and how exactly does it get messed up again in only a few years (at most). I say mitsu has to be at fault here, but do i have a good argument?? thanks! -jam

From what I've seen of the recall issues, Mitsubishi seems much more likely to try and evade their responsiblilties than Chrysler is. Which, given the companie's current status in the economic world, only tends to add up.

If you have modified suspension does that invalidate things such as the ball joint recall, or does the dealer still have to do it?

tighty said:
If you have modified suspension does that invalidate things such as the ball joint recall, or does the dealer still have to do it?

no matter what if you push hard enough they have to do it. Threaten them if they don't want to let you have it done for free...

yeah i have some poping in the front ball joints or something in the front in and i read on the internet that there was a recall for the 97 gst well i set up a appt take it down there then they said they called the mitsu place and the vin number showed this car didnt have any reacalls or has never even been recalled so they wouldnt do it :mad:

it sounds like to me they just makeing up BS to avoid doing it cause they would have to fix it for free so im thinking of calling on in the closet town to me and see what they have to say and if they can fix it w/o all the bs lies.

Get that DONE!!! I've seen some pretty bad pics when those things go. And I'm pretty sure that they gave you some BS. This is a safety recall.
i.e. fffffoooooooooooooorrrrreeeeeeevvvvveerrrr!!:talon:

THeyre full of it. What do they think a safety recall is... Id try again.. If they dont do it, you're gonna either have to go to another one, or call the corporate office.. Bad ball joints are definately nothing to #### around with.

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/...+Turbo+Hatchback&zip=52402&synpartner=edmunds

3 recalls are listed:
----------------------------------
Nature of Defect:
1. SUSPENSION:INDEPENDENT FRONT CONTROL ARM:LOWER:BALL JOINT Recall Number: 00V421001
Dates Manufactured: MAR 1994 to JUN 1999
Number of Vehicles Affected: 567432
Date Owners Notified On: MAR 2001

Vehicle: 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse
Defect Description:
Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. If the rubber boots on the lower lateral arm ball joints of the front suspension were damaged during assembly, dirt and water can intrude. Also, MMC has added the potential of leaking moisture, which can cause the ball stud to corrode.

Consequence of Defect:
This condition could cause the lower lateral arm ball joint to separate, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash. This campaign supercedes MMC's previous safety recall campaign, see 99V-066.

Corrective Action:
Dealers will inspect the lower lateral arm ball joint for wear. Ball joints that exhibit wear beyond the established tolerance will be replaced with newly designed lateral arm ball joints. Ball joints that are within the established tolerance will be cleaned and a special sealant will be applied to prevent intrusion of moisture.

-------------------------------------------------

Nature of Defect:
2. INTERIOR SYSTEMS:SEAT HEAD RESTRAINTS Recall Number: 97V081001
Dates Manufactured: MAR 1997 to MAR 1997
Number of Vehicles Affected: 119
Date Owners Notified On: MAY 1997

Defect Description:
The headrest guide bracket was improperly welded to the seat back frame on the passenger side seat back assemblies only.

Consequence of Defect:
The headrest support bracket can break, increasing the risk of personal injury.

Corrective Action:
Dealers will replace the passenger seat back assembly with a new assembly.

--------------------------------------------

Nature of Defect:
3. POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:AUTOMATIC Recall Number: 98V069001
Dates Manufactured: MAY 1989 to MAR 1998
Number of Vehicles Affected: 24275
Date Owners Notified On: N/A

Defect Description:
Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. Lockup of the transfer case can occur due to insufficient lubrication.

Consequence of Defect:
This condition can cause a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash.

Corrective Action:
Dealers will inspect the vehicles for adequacy of the transfer case oil volume, transfer case oil leakage, and operational degradation of the transfer case mechanism. If oil volume is insufficient, the appropriate amount of oil will be added. If there is transfer case oil leakage, affected components will be replaced. If the transfer case shows operational degradation, the transfer case will be replaced.

----------------------------------------

There are 141 TSB's:

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/...+Turbo+Hatchback&zip=52402&synpartner=edmunds

It could be that the database shows the car has already had the recall work done to it. Or else the dealer is being a classic dealer.

i will try another one first and see what they say and hope they do it

to bad mitsu wouldnt let just any place fix it for free then it would be much easier

I went through crap with chrylser on a 95 i had.
The recalls were allready done, but not done right.
The dealer wouldnt fix them saying the wil only do it once - i got on the phone
with chrysler and got them to call the dealer and inform them they are wrong.

Yes, please find another dealership who will do the work. The only reason I can think of why they wont do the recall is A)They are too lazy B) It could have been done by the previous owner and they are showing no other recalls to be completed. I say it could be B because that is what I was told when I called for recalls on my 95 AWD. I had the ball joints and driveshaft yoke and seal replaced under recall. I heard from someone that there was a fuel tank seal recall also and I called the dealer(just to check), they told me there are no recalls out for your vehicle. So maybe the recall was already performed.

TRBOBLU said:
Yes, please find another dealership who will do the work. The only reason I can think of why they wont do the recall is A)They are too lazy B) It could have been done by the previous owner and they are showing no other recalls to be completed. I say it could be B because that is what I was told when I called for recalls on my 95 AWD. I had the ball joints and driveshaft yoke and seal replaced under recall. I heard from someone that there was a fuel tank seal recall also and I called the dealer(just to check), they told me there are no recalls out for your vehicle. So maybe the recall was already performed.

Even if performed they can do it again.

Ya, you should definately go somewhere else and get it done, I think its someone on this site that has a picture of their car that was goin down the road when the ball joints failed, the front wheels completely collapsed in, it looked bad, just bug the hell out of the dealership until its fixed.

Trust me get it done asap!!!!! I am one of the ####ing losers that waited to long and had them collapse while I was doing 45mph. Best part is it was at 2am and 150 miles away from my house. Had to wait 2.5 hours for a flatbed to get there. Just hurry and get them done before you end up like I did.

I had mine drop also. But I was in a parking lot at the time. It did trash my fender though, which they wouldn't fix.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back