The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G 14B swap, need answers....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perley03

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2006
Bangor, Maine
So I'm starting the swap on my 2G, and I have read the article on VFAQ http://www.vfaq.com./mods/2G-16G.html and still left a bit confused. I have everything from my 1G 6 bolt block, from the oil lines to the water lines and factory J-pipe and intercooler pipe. I'm wondering what lines to use, and where to hook them up. Will the oil feed line from the T25 fit the 14b? What about the water lines? Or should I just use the 6 bolt feed from the head, and block off the oil supply at the filter? I'm really confused, have searched on here for a bit and read previous posts on 14b swaps, and I'm asking people that have done the swap to help me out. So, what have all of you done before I go crazy. By the way, I need this done, because my T25 is spewing oil into the intercooler pipes, but has no shaftplay.

By a stainless oil feed line like this one (Scroll down you'll see it). Use you're 6 bolt oil return line and the water return line off the 14b (rear one). Bend the water feed line to fit (front one). Then install and call it a day.

Yep, thats exactly it. Stainless oil feed line, and the water lines off the 14b. I messed mine up on the install, had to go to a junkyard to get another set of water lines.

(I'm an idiot, I know.)

So there is no way that I can use the stock T-25 oil line, I have to buy that stainless one? I really need the car running by wednesday morning as my vacation will end. Right now I'm looking at the water lines on the T-25 and comparing the bends needed to fit the 14b. Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it.
Shawn

Do you have the stock 1g oil feed? if you do you could use that temporary and order an SS line....

Yes I do, would I just use a bolt and some thread sealant (teflon) tape and block off the feed at the filter housing? If that would work, do you know what size bolt it would take?

Yes I do, would I just use a bolt and some thread sealant (teflon) tape and block off the feed at the filter housing? If that would work, do you know what size bolt it would take?

That would work but i can't remember what size bolt it uses. I want to say 3/8 compression but i'm not exactly sure.

I am fixing to go through the same thing and am about 99% positive that the filter bolt will use a 3/8". I am researching trying to take the feed from the 14b and use it but cut the end of the hard line and put a flare fitting on it and run it to -4an line. Who knows how it will turn out? Good luck and keep us posted, Keith.

That would work but i can't remember what size bolt it uses. I want to say 3/8 compression but i'm not exactly sure.
3/8" flare, I actually brought the line to NAPA and they found me a plug. It took me over 2 hours of searching in the Bangor area to find copper crush washers. I actually had to over to Diesel Fuel Systems and they had a HUGE selection of them, for $0.38/piece. I just got done installing the turbo, however, the factory intercooler plumbing needs some modification. I'm heading over to Home Depot to see what I can come up with. I've tried everything, from flipping the 2G hose around, to using the 1G hose, and it looks like I had to eliminate the intercooler resonator (which doesn't bother me any ;) ) and I'm going to put in a PVC 2" pipe about 10" long to make it fit. I'm waiting on my oil supply line, so the car won't be running until wednesday or thursday.
I am fixing to go through the same thing and am about 99% positive that the filter bolt will use a 3/8". I am researching trying to take the feed from the 14b and use it but cut the end of the hard line and put a flare fitting on it and run it to -4an line. Who knows how it will turn out? Good luck and keep us posted, Keith.
Your best bet would be to use the braided stainless line, its flexible and you don't have to spend 2 hours dinking around with hard lines, bending them to fit. I bought it through this guy on eBay:ImportBlowoutSales, for $48 shipped, I can't complain. When you buy the line, state in the Paypal invoice that you want it from the 2G oil filter housing to the 14B Banjo fitting, but keep the original banjo bolt and new crush washers, as he does not include them. Prepare yourself for at least a day's work, as this little shit adds up time and frustration. When I first popped the hood, I figured about 2 hours. WRONG!!!OMG Looks like I will be hitching a ride to work on wednesday (girlfriend, gotta love her).

So the Home Depot PVC plumbing does indeed work! (This is just to get my by until I get my FMIC kit on, still saving for it). But one more thing. I took it out for a test drive after I made sure there were no leaks and the coolant system had plenty of coolant in it and no air, and was boosting 12psi up and down the road a few times, pulling hard to redline every shift, when I heard a noise kinda like a gun shot, and I noticed no boost, and running like crap when I'd hit the gas. Instant thought was blown intercooler pipe on that new PVC, or worse, the PVC couldn't hold 12psi and exploded, leaving PVC splinters all over my front end. I pulled over, looked everything over, and it was all tight. I limped it home, and brought out the boost leak tester. No leaks! I'm going WTF :confused: :mad: so I'm looking over every vacuum line, intercooler line, and not seeing everything. Turbo spins freely, nothing lodged in the intake, leaving me completly stumped. I call up my buddy who is right into diesels, and the first thing that came out of his mouth was "did you check to see if the wastegate was stuck open.. OMG the damm rod fell off the flapper arm, and of course, the wastegate was wide open......DOH!!!
So, to make a long story short, check your wastegate for proper movement and function. And don't make an ass of yourself infront of your best friend.
:dsm:

I know this question has been answered numerous times. But what size hose and fittings do I need for the water feed and return lines for a 14b in my 2G?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back