The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2.0 vs 2.3

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1glaserfwd

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 25, 2011
salt lake city, Utah
I would like some opinions on the 2.3 and reliability, I've just lost my 3rd stroker to another early life failure. I feel like maybe the 2.3 just isn't meant to work as well as the 2.0. Granted all 3 strokers I've had were previously built and I ran them as is, they were all fresh never ran. This most recent failure was 800 miles in. Car made 600whp and ran a few 10.8@133 passes and a ton 11.0-11.2's. I'm just considering going back to the good ole 2.0. The center main bearing spun, everything else looks fine with all the other bearings. Upon pulling it apart Pistons look like shit as well as the cylinder walls.

Just looking for people's input on if a 2.3 can be as reliable as a 2.0 if assembled correctly. Thanks guys

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 125
What kind of rpms? Stock 6-bolt 100mm crank? The stock cranks aren't heavy enough for high rpms and tend to tear up the mains from flopping around.

In my experience, the stroker engines are better for a 400-500hp street car with killer torque. Spinning them up over the stock redline of the 2.0 starts tearing up the Pistons, and cylinder walls. I know others have made them work at much higher power and rpm, I just don't usually see it working out like that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back