The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1ga Carbon Fiber Hood Fitment Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilsfutbol17

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Bellingham, Washington
I am having some issues with a hood that I purchased off of someone local. It is in the shape of a 1ga hood except without the cam gear hump on the drivers side. I know its a ricer hood and I'm definitely not into all the hood scoops and whatnot, but my factory hood has a dent in it and this guy was selling it for $100, so I figured why not give it a shot.

Well it doesn't appear to be fitting properly. It looks like its hitting the timing belt cover pretty badly. Has anyone had this experienced with this particular hood?

Attachments

• IMAG1677.jpg
    IMAG1677.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 127
  • IMAG1678.jpg
    IMAG1678.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMAG1679.jpg
    IMAG1679.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMAG1680.jpg
    IMAG1680.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMAG1681.jpg
    IMAG1681.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 120
  • IMAG1682.jpg
    IMAG1682.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 136
Just cut out a slot for the cam gear cover but make it exaggerated, the go to pep boys and get one of their cowl scoops. that'll get you by until you find another stock hood or cf hood.

Either cut out the skeleton underneath the hood or take off your timing belt cover. I recommend taking out the skeleton where the timing belt hits.

I wouldnt take the timing cover off. The only way would be to cut a hole.

My hood is kinda warped like that too..I called it a day and got hood pins.

IDK bout the aerocatchaero catch pins, but my universal iI just make them sit lower than it wants too, push the hood down,pin in.Done.

I dont runt a timing belt cover. Hell my lower timing cover has been cut in half. Ive had zero issues. Pull the cover and see how it fits. If you can throw ## cell phone in there with the light on and set it up to see the timing belt. Close the hood then open it and review vid so see how close you are.

With how badly the hood sticking up, it would scare me to not run a timing belt cover. I started cutting on it last night but forgot to take a picture of it. It fits a lot better now, but is still touching a little bit. I need to trip a little more off, then spray it with some black paint.

It has hood pins now, but it needs new ones. I'll post a picture of how it turns out. Thanks for the help guys.

You could adjust the hood hinges by removing them and adding a couple washers to raise it. I've done this on a clients vehicle before and you couldnt tell there were washers unless you were looking at the hinges.

You could adjust the hood hinges by removing them and adding a couple washers to raise it. I've done this on a clients vehicle before and you couldnt tell there were washers unless you were looking at the hinges.

This was what I was gonna suggest aswell, dont make it to high like I've seen on some hondas, but I bet this will help you out alot, start off with a couple washers first then go from there.

Forgot to mention, once you remove the hinges you will have to be careful lining up the hood so that it doesnt scrape the fenders. I would use a length of painters tape along the high side for a little insurance. Give it a proper gap all around the fenders and make it look even. If you add washers you may also need to get longer hinge bolts. If it doesnt look right in the front, raise or lower the rubber hood stops.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back