The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Shift Knob - Too much play

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlashBack-Cro

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 29, 2011
Zagreb, Europe
So, here's the video

Eclipse GSX 1G '91. shift knob too much play - YouTube

and pic's
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I hope that you will understand about what i'm talking about.
I'm interested in what are called these white plastic rings that broke on me, so shift knob have too much play. I want to order it but i don't know the name of this litle bastards :)

Thanks ;)

Last edited:
The bushing looks like a plastic washer..Couldn't you head to the local harwdare store and pick up some metal washers to put in there..Then you know they won't break..

I found this Shifter column bushing part numbers? | Galant VR-4 > General VR4 Discussions | GalantVR-4.org Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Forum
And it seems that 2 of the bushings are MB367320 and 4 are MB580253 which are $7 a piece, but apparently there really isin't a difference except for the flange portion. I guess 92's and up used 6 MB367320 so I am wondering who has used 6 MB367320 on a 90-91 shifter?

Depending on when in 91 your car was made, your car may have the updated shifter. Look at the OP's pics of his shifter. Does yours look like his? He has the updated shifter. :thumb:

<quote>The bushing looks like a plastic washer..Couldn't you head to the local harwdare store and pick up some metal washers to put in there..Then you know they won't break.. </quote>

It's not a washer. It's a bushing with a lip. Bushing to keep it off the shaft, the lip to center the shift arm.

The above part number is what i got for mine. :)

Depending on when in 91 your car was made, your car may have the updated shifter. Look at the OP's pics of his shifter. Does yours look like his? He has the updated shifter. :thumb:

It does look similar, I guess I will be getting 6 MB367320 bushings. I read people did use metal bushings from a hardware store but what are the chances you find the right size. I also read that someone used a bearing but where would you get a bearing that small.

It does look similar, I guess I will be getting 6 MB367320 bushings. I read people did use metal bushings from a hardware store but what are the chances you find the right size. I also read that someone used a bearing but where would you get a bearing that small.

The bearing youve read about are skateboard bearings, and these arent used in the shifter assembly; theyre used to replace the rubber bushings at the ends of the shift cables where theyre connected to the transmission. The new shifter bushings are nice and youll enjoy having a firm shifter again. Just remember that two of the bushings will be used on the lever on the shifter base and you will need snap ring pliers or small needle nose pliers to get that apart.

The bearing youve read about are skateboard bearings, and these arent used in the shifter assembly; theyre used to replace the rubber bushings at the ends of the shift cables where theyre connected to the transmission. The new shifter bushings are nice and youll enjoy having a firm shifter again. Just remember that two of the bushings will be used on the lever on the shifter base and you will need snap ring pliers or small needle nose pliers to get that apart.

I have a symbrosky kit on the shifter already so no skateboard bearings. I was trying to figure where all the bushings went, I was thinking there were 2 undering the c-clip, glad I bought that tool now, starting to pay off after my turbo rebuild. I'm guessing the other 2 are on the other bolt sleeve.

This is why I love this site!!! EVERYTHING has been completely covered and thoroughly explained on here, search button is legit everyone's best friend here!

I know it's an old thread but I want to share what I can with my DSM brothers :

Fab some bushing for the shifter shaft and they are awesome.

And on the highway waiting for the tow truck with my blown turbo ... :(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back