The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1g oil catch can system setup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fehrion_sit

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2009
chalfont, Pennsylvania
hey guys, right now i have one of those cheap tiny filters on my oil breather line coming out of my valve cover. i believe it is called a pvc ? , i know that these can mist oil all over my engine and i dont not want that. ive read that i can pipe it back into the intake but i dont want oil on the cold side of my turbo, quite frankly dirty air is bad at 20psi =D... if i were to install a catch can, where else can i run the drain line ?

mike
1g 1990 AWD Eclipse

so there really is no way to return the oil to the source because it is mixed with dirt from the crankcase. is the best way to deal with a catch can to clean it when i do my oil change. i change my oil every 2000miles

btw thanks for the speedy response !

-Mike
1g eclipse gsx

so there really is no way to return the oil to the source because it is mixed with dirt from the crankcase. is the best way to deal with a catch can to clean it when i do my oil change. i change my oil every 2000miles

btw thanks for the speedy response !

-Mike
1g eclipse gsx

Yeah pretty much. some, not all, catch cans come with a liquid level sight tube on the side. I'd be more inclined to just make sure it's not too full and drain it when it gets 1/2 full. But draining it when you do oil changes is a good way to at least stay regular.:thumb:

so there really is no way to return the oil to the source because it is mixed with dirt from the crankcase.

Well it isn't dirt...hopefully anyway. :)

It's mostly leftovers from the combustion process, which if not pulled out of the crankcase will eventually dilute and break down the oil. If everything is working properly, you shouldn't really have to "clean" the catch can; just drain it when you change the oil.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back