The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1g n/a turbo converted

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1992_Talon_tsi

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2009
MIAMI, Florida
Sup guys just had a few question as for a 1g eclipse n/a turbo converted. Ok so the car is still running on stock 240cc injectors, stock fuel pressure, stock fuel pump and the block is a stock n/a. Turbo running currently is and evo 3 big 16g along with a fmic and ssq bov. Ok so my question is would i get any problem for running the stock n/a fuel setup? and also would running on a stock n/a block cause any further problems?:hmm:

you definitely need to upgrade all of your fuel components to at least turbo spec. this includes fuel pump, fpr, and injectors. to put turbo injectors in you will need a fuel injector resistor, too. i believe the maf is different as well.

How much boost are you currently running, as well as what level do you want to go to? Obviously the more you run the less reliable it is going to be.

A turbo AFPR, at least 1g auto 380cc injectors and a stock turbo fuel pump will let you run the low boost levels that your car will be able to safely handle.

Good luck man! Post some updates!

You need to run atleast 380 injectors with higher fuel pressure. With the stock bottom end you will run into alot of problems if you boost over 7psi, you'll start blowing stuff up!

just so you know 380cc injectors with an automatic (43.5 psi) fpr is exactly the same amount of fuel as 450cc injectors on a manual (36.3 psi) fpr. i wouldn't ever use an safc or maft to tune this setup because your already 9:1 and to take away airflow will be advancing your timing, and 9:1 will already tend to knock easily, especially if you can't find 93 and up octane. my awd tsi has a n/t block in it, and i put in a walbro 255hp. it was the only option i had at the time to get it running and it was free. well now my fuel pressure is higher because the fpr is overrun. the other week i added 2 gallons of e85 to like a quarter tank of 93 and oh my god it ran amazing.

thanks for the support guys well without a question we going to upgrade and mod the fuel setup, although its weird im not getting any fuel cut and currently the turbo its at open boost, i have an fpr witch im going to give it to my friend and next week we might be getting a walbro 190fp,660cc injectors and maybe the fuel rail.... as for boosting, can it be boosted lets say at 14-20psi as it is or its any upgrade required?

Since he has an N/A fuel pressure regulator, his fuel pressure is at 47 psi and either one of these injectors will work - 390cc or 450cc. You'll also need to wire in the resistor pack off turbo eclipse, because the N/A injectors are high impedance and the turbo injectors are low impedance. I ran stock n/A fuel pump w/o rewiring and w/o any problems at 8 psi and 450cc, but I upgraded to Evo 9 pump since I already have had it. If you use bigger injectors you may want to have some tuning device as SAFC or MAFT to tune out for the bigger size injectors, because w/o it it will run pig rich. If you ever get to install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, make sure you keep the stock N/A fuel pressure of 47psi and do not lower it to what turbo 1g eclipses need - 36 psi. You can lower it when/if you swap to turbo ECU.

Hope that helps

also there is no need to ever get a fuel rail unless you are going to lay down some serious power. aem quotes their rail good for 1000 HP with a 1/2" bore, and the stock one is slightly larger than that. did you put anything turbo in the car like the ecu? i don't see how you're going to trick an n/a computer to use 660's without some serious maf signal alterations, and IMO thats just not good.

yeah, no need of aftermarket fuel rail.

The max injector size the MAFT can tune out is 560cc or 57-58% larger than the stock 240cc. The max injector size the SAFC can tune out is 450 -500cc or 50% larger than stock 240cc. 660cc is way out of the stock ECU league despite the device you have. 450cc at 47psi fuel pressure and 100% duty cycle are rated to 359 hp. With stock internals you can't handle more that 10-12 psi with a home done tune. It may be able to handle 15psi with super duper tune on a dyno if your engine has low milege. At 15 psi youll be around 250 hp. Bigger injectors will only reduce the injector duty cycle /if you can tune them out/, w/o boost to match the injector size its pointless, but you can't turn the boost up because your internals are weak.

Last edited:
i'm running a non-turbo block and i have seen tons of knock daily due to bad fuel regulation and i haven't blown up yet. do you have some sort of knock control?

Not w/o turbo ECU. Just run 93 octane, keep my fuel pressure at 47 psi, make my settings a bit richer and keep the foot of the pedal

Well, w/o having an ECU that will retard timing, I need to be careful.

I've been looking at one of the fuel/timing controllers at Split Second's site, It looks promising. Lots of Lancer guys use these to turbo their cars.

all the money spent on these piggybacks you could get a junkyard turbo harness, and get an eeprom ecu, have it socketed, and get a dsmlink v3 lite and run whatever maf you want or speed density.

the block, head, and cams are fine. you just need fuel and good engine management and having a turbo ecu with stock injectors and fpr and pump is a good place to at least start.

...the car is still running on stock 240cc injectors, stock fuel pressure, stock fuel pump and the block is a stock n/a. Turbo running currently is and evo 3 big 16g along with a fmic and ssq bov.
That sounds like a recipe for disaster...detonation-style.

I wouldn't think you could possibly run boost low enough with an Evo III 16G for 240cc injectors to work properly with a stock non-turbo pump.

yea the guy who did this convertion dint love his life LOL,anyways weird thing of all is that the car runs perfectly fine oO and thats what scare me the most, it doesnt even have a maf i mean i think it should be acting like crap, but no... anyways were going to take care of it, but i felt i couldnt move a finger without asking these questions... next upgrades would be (450cc injectors,fpr, and walbro 190 fuel pump)...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back