The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

1G FMIC's with the 14b

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1993gsx

Probationary Member
Nov 6, 2010
S Burlington, Vermont
I have spent the past few hours on this site looking around and reading other peoples posts, and I still have some questions I cant find the answers to... maybe im not great at searching =/ but I tried.

I am planning on running my 14b all of next season, and I want to do something with my intercooler situation. I found this kit online, and this kit has an awesome price. Has anyone used one of these? is it worth the $350 for the J-pipe and the MAF. Can I use my stock MAF or do I need one of those GM MAFs? what size MAF should I get? do I need to modify anything else to get a GM MAF to work with my application? Will the piping that comes with this kit work with the stock 14b?

VRSF 1G Front Mount Intercooler Kit : 1G DSM (BLACK FRIDAY WEEK SPECIAL!)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I also found this sidemount piping kit. Can I use this until my 14b is maxed out? should I wait till I buy a bigger turbo for a FMIC?
Punishment Racing your parts source for the Mitsubishi Evo & Eclipse, Eagle Talon and Laser

EDIT: completely off topic, but will this manifold work with the 14b?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Head...Accessories&hash=item33559b5d27#ht_3777wt_939

Intercooler kit works fine on the 14b. You dont need a GM MAF-t set up. Your stock MAF is fine.

For the piping kit, its up to you if you want to stay with the stock smic. Better off getting the Fmic now and waste less money if you plan on going fmic later on the future.

The ebay exhause manifold will work but those have poor welding and will eventually crack over time. Better off getting a ported 2g exhaust manifold or maybe even an evo3 exhaust mani.

evo3 mani... evo3 o2....
i mean ## running 14b, so your not going to need major supporting mods< like 93 tsi fwd said< if your planning on doing more in the future< christmas sales are goin on, scoop some stuff up<

Ya, i say get the front mount...i got one from punishment which was made specifically for a TD05H turbo(14b,16g) for around the same price and i was using a 14b with it, helped keep inatake temps down really well on the small turbo at high boost levels(18-21), but it will increase lag slightly....you dont need to get a GM maf, if you want you can switch to a 2g or EVO MAS, but its not necesary, unless you plan on maxing out the 14b then you may want to consider it...i switched to a 2g MAS, and used a 2g hard intake pipe, lined up the BPV perfect with the Punishment FMIC kit..... i have a couple pictures in my profile....

thanks a lot everyone, I will be picking a FMIC up soon!!! ill post pics when I do. Im waiting on my fuel system from STM, my 93 gsx sat on the grass for a year and rusted all the lines out. So I ordered the tank to rail kit, and the return line kit with a walbro and AEM fuel rail. I also have a turbosmart MBC im going to mount in-cabin, and I have a A-pillar gauge pod im waiting to put up, boost, wideband, and oil temp. Also there is a greddy type-rz BOV coming too. I think im off to a decent start. I've already changed the ECM, crank angle sensor, thermostat, coolant flush, oil change, optima red top battery with gold terminals. If anyone has any other ideas im open to them!

Also, Do I need that "j-pipe" they talk about? this might be a dumb question seeing as it says if you're running a factory turbo you will need it. thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
Don't get that Chinese tubular manifold....you'll be removing it once a year to re-weld the collector.

Find a nice used 2G manifold and port the collector. Same performance, less engine bay heat, MUCH less prone to cracking.

yea cheap manifold = headaches:ohdamn: i actually blew a hole in one and the chunk fell down in and ruind my turbo. as for the fmic, why not, i could feel the difference slightly when i installed mine on my 2nd gen, you sound like your off to a good start and you will be happy for a while with the setup your running with a good tune, pm me if your interested in an evo3 mani as i will be selling mine fairly reasonable price. keep us posted on progess:thumb:

I noticed a big difference when I bolted mine on, its 28x7x2.5 with 2" ends. I stuck with the 2" piping. boost dropped off from 16 to 11-12psi when I did it. I wasn't too happy. Now I feel I'm really overworking the 14b like that to turn it back up to 16-18psi. I have a 2g man. too nice.

Also, after I installed a evo 3 o2 dump, and it feels like lag went way up after that anyone ever seen that before?

Just commenting on that manifold, i've ran one for over two years without any cracks, got it glowing orange even and it's held up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back