The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G engine/trans/drivetrain into a 1978 SAAB 99

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rendragyarrum88

Probationary Member
Sep 9, 2022
Woodbury, Connecticut
Hi-

Not sure whether to put this in engine swap or fabrication, but it’s definitely both.

I’ve always been a fan of DSM cars, though I haven’t owned one. I’ve been thinking about this project for a while and gathering as much info as possible.

Why would I do this?

This was my grandfathers car and I will never part with it. I have done a lot of work to it, but parts are getting difficult to source. I want it to have more performance. It’s a front wheel drive car with a weak transmission. I’d rather it be rear wheel or all wheel drive. There’s no trans tunnel and I’d really hack it up putting a rear drive power plant in. Some hacking is ok. I’m not a purist (obviously). It’s more important to me to drive this car and enjoy it than preserve its originality. I am a fabricator. Welding/sheet metal/structural/machining/CAD is no problem.

Other options - Subaru - I’ve never cared for the sound. Personal opinion of course, there are some rad Subarus out there. And then there’s the Saaburu, which made me think again about a Subaru power plant, but I don’t think it’s right. Audi - I haven’t looked too hard! But they’re good with AWD. More expensive obviously. Lancer Evo - More expensive, even for a salvaged one. More technology to deal with.

The 1G (or 2G) motor and drivetrain seems readily available, fairly affordable, has lots of support, and are less complicated than options built in the last 20 years. To me this seems like a setup that could have easily happened in the factory in Sweden. After all, the SAAB 99 turbo is considered by some to be the first mass production turbo car. Saab always promoted turbocharging and 4 cylinder engines, they just never added the AWD element. And then GM butchered the company with badge engineering. I’ll leave it at that.

Anyway, I’m really looking for constructive feedback on the project.

You may or may not know that SAAB engines in 99/900’s were longitudinal and the trans was at the front. :idontknow:

I am looking for a measurement. What is the total width of a 1G engine/trans?

Thanks for reading, Gardner

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back