The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Anyone put a 4g64 into a 1g?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its pretty much the same thing. their is a pink 1g in the driveway with a 2.4 in it

it really doesnt matter. early 4g64 that came out of the cars where 6 bolts. you can use the 7 bolt it works to. as far as the electronics you use the 1g cas. just thats what the 2.0 used. all you are is swaping a 2.0 short block for a 2.4 short block nothing really changes. all the wiring stays the same, so do motor mount. you use the same clutch. 6 or 7 bolt dependent.

If it is a 6 bolt 2.4 than it would technically be a g4cs. The 7 bolt 2.4's are called a 4g64. The 7 bolt block doesn't have the provision for the front roll stop on a 1g. There are holes for the rear roll stop however.

This is exactly what I was refering to. I know my 4g64 dosent have provisions for the motor mounts on the block that a 1g would need.

your guys sure.... i know for sure that true for 2000+ blocks. and im 100% sure that they are there cause my roommate has a 2.4 1g

Last edited by a moderator:
your guys sure.... i know for sure that true for 2000+ blocks. and im 100% sure that they are there cause my roommate has a 2.4 1g

He has a g4cs if it has the engine mount holes on the front. Here is a 4g64 block, notice that there are no bolt holes in the front of the block for the motor mount bracket to bolt to, just like a 2g 7 bolt 4g63. These engines were used in galants and spyder eclipses which use the same mount setup as a 2g turbo engine with the mount brackets on the transmission.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Have you ever worked on a 1g before? There are no bolt holes on that block for the engine mount bracket.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You see the bolt holes on the lower left side of the engine, the other block doesn't have those.

I am 100% sure that the 4g64 block that is is my Dsm dosent have the provisions for the 1g motor mounts. I'm not saying that there isn't a 4g64 out there that will work in a 1g since there are so many variations of the 2.4. I'm just saying you better make sure you get the right one to bolt into your car. I just remember during my 2.4 research for my own swap that 1g guys had to use the g4cs blocks if they wanted a 2.4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are all 6 bolts referred to as the 4Gcs? I know mines is but it came from a 1986 Galant. Same as the 4G64. Did mitsu change the block numbering when it went 7 bolt? And as stated above, just use 4G64 cam gears and a 4G64 timing belt.

Just do some research on it. 2000 and up eclipses have a 4g64 DO NOT USE IT, it will not work it mounts 180* different. The 4g64 out of earlier galants and eclipses will work BUT they may not mount due to it not having mounting holes on the bock. The older g4cs as stated above does. That would be the easiest route. Dont forget,
You have to block off 5 oil drain holes in the block
You need 4g64 DOHC cam gears (from 96? Galant DOHC)
The rest is pretty basic bolt on parts specific to the motor.

Just do some research on it. 2000 and up eclipses have a 4g64 DO NOT USE IT, it will not work it mounts 180* different. The 4g64 out of earlier galants and eclipses will work BUT they may not mount due to it not having mounting holes on the bock. The older g4cs as stated above does. That would be the easiest route. Dont forget,
You have to block off 5 oil drain holes in the block
You need 4g64 DOHC cam gears (from 96? Galant DOHC)
The rest is pretty basic bolt on parts specific to the motor.

Which timing cover works, 2g? I know about the front motor mount, cam gears, etc... I have read all available info on the swap, just haven't found info on 7 bolt 64 in a 1g.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back