The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

General 1G Data logger

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon20g

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 21, 2007
WHITAKERS, North_Carolina
I've been away from dsm's for the better part of a decade. What are y'all using for data logging now a days? I do have dsmlink but until all the kinks are out of the car I will be using a keydiver chip. Always had good luck with keydivers chips but would like a way to monitor everything. Just for a few months while I focus on getting everything else sorted.

I understand how useful link is. The car has set for the past 4 years and there is a lot of small things that must be finished. During this 4 years of down time I lost my to do sheet. Also there is 500 mile break in period on the clutch. The keydiver chips are usually spot on. Some of the older dsm guys probably remember how good he was at burning a chip. I just want to be able to monitor the motor while finishing up all the small things that need to be done. After that I will be focusing on tuning with dsmlink when everything is done. I want to be able to spend time on the tune without worrying about a dozen other things. If anyone knows a good way to go about data logging I would appreciate it.

Keydriver is basically done yes?
Does he offer upgrades still?

Why even invest time in it? It's a remote blanket tune either way?

Get it over with.....
Run link have the ability to log and if your into a remote tune plenty of sources that offer those services on link equip vehicles.

V3 offers so much more running a 1g ECU.
I have scan tools that talk to OEM ECU's datastreams.
Link equipped ECU's datastreams are massively improved comparatively.

Even being remote tuned would be improved with a V3 ECU and a wideband that's logged given choice of using only a 1g ECU.

But if you want to build your own cable .and run tuner pro or like software for limited info for $20 tunes, well that's that.

For f***s sake guys. Link isn't the only way to get the job done. A decent burned chip is lightyears better than some of the hacked butchery guys put into link, and call it a tune. God damn, guys went 10's back in the day on a stock ecu with an AFC and a voltmeter on the narrowband - ON PUMP GAS AND A HACKED 1G MAF TOO BOOT.

Just cause you all can't be bothered to exercise your grey matter, don't be shooting down guys that want to. The point you are all missing: is that a burned chip from a good burner is spot on, and eliminates a lot of variables. If the car doesn't run right, you have less stuff to chase. You don't have to question the tune. You can't try and tune around mechanical issues, you have no crutch. You fix it, or it doesn't work.

OP, I've been told that you can use a link cable and ecmlink client to datalog a stock ecu. I've not done it, so I can't verify.

There is a definition for using tunerpro to log - I never like it, and used a palm emulator/mmcd (still do) TMO logger is still floating around out there, and I really like that one. I think you will need to make a cable, if you have a laptop without a db9, you can use a USB to serial converter. I think the Keyspan one is best, but just make sure it has a FTDI type chip, the other ones (prolific, ect) don't seem to work.

For f***s sake guys. Link isn't the only way to get the job done. A decent burned chip is lightyears better than some of the hacked butchery guys put into link, and call it a tune. God damn, guys went 10's back in the day on a stock ecu with an AFC and a voltmeter on the narrowband - ON PUMP GAS AND A HACKED 1G MAF TOO BOOT.

Cool, hey everyone: go drain your e85 out of the tank. All you need is pump gas to go fast and be cool. As of matter of fact, all you dumbasses running new technology turbos, widebands etc can just throw it all away. Curt Brown made 500awhp on a e16g so if your goal is 500awhp then your turbo should be an e16g.

Just cause you all can't be bothered to exercise your grey matter, don't be shooting down guys that want to. The point you are all missing: is that a burned chip from a good burner is spot on, and eliminates a lot of variables. If the car doesn't run right, you have less stuff to chase. You don't have to question the tune. You can't try and tune around mechanical issues, you have no crutch. You fix it, or it doesn't work.

Right, running a pre-set chip is definitely using your brain. I'm guessing you think tic tac toe is more difficult than chess? OP, have fun monitoring your engine with the chip. I just plug in my laptop and double-click the ecmlink icon to get any and all information I want...because it's 2019. I guess that's not smart enough.
OP, I've been told that you can use a link cable and ecmlink client to datalog a stock ecu. I've not done it, so I can't verify.

There is a definition for using tunerpro to log - I never like it, and used a palm emulator/mmcd (still do) TMO logger is still floating around out there, and I really like that one. I think you will need to make a cable, if you have a laptop without a db9, you can use a USB to serial converter. I think the Keyspan one is best, but just make sure it has a FTDI type chip, the other ones (prolific, ect) don't seem to work.

LOL, now we're using a palm emmulator, making a cable, using a serial converter. This is brilliant stuff. How about you just plug in the ecmlink. I guess if you're broke as shit then stuff like this is the go-to.

For the OP that stated he has a keydriver set up AND ECM link ....
I would say no exercise needed smart grey matter says the ability to log/set up is already in his possession.

bastarddsm, thank you for your help. Now that you reminded me of mmcd, I'm sure I have a copy on a CD. My palm is long gone. I was thinking there may have been a better or more common way to data log after a 10 year hiatus. I remember where tuning was when I started, but 17 years ago. Definitely came a long way. Although it seems odd coming back to dsm's and people only being able to regurgitate the same thought for a specific question.
Vegas dsm, I'm fairly certain you missed the point he was making.
I understand that dsmlink is the way to go. Keydiver does still upgrade chips for existing customers. This was an easy and quick way to hit the ground running while being able to fix and verify that all mechanical issues are sorted. Not sure why that is hard to understand. I want to tune the car without mechanical issues and possible electrical issue. Im sure most would agree a solid car is better to tune with.

I understand that dsmlink is the way to go. Keydiver does still upgrade chips for existing customers. This was an easy and quick way to hit the ground running while being able to fix and verify that all mechanical issues are sorted.
Sounds real easy. 5 minutes to plug-in ecmlink or take a boat Guatemala to get your palm pilot working. Let us know if you're looking for a Frank level 5 turbo or a mint copy of windows 95 while you're at it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back