The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 6G72TT Swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyd_Wykkyd

Probationary Member
Jan 9, 2015
indianapolis, Indiana
Ever wash your jeans and when you take it out of the dryer you find a dollar in your pocket and you get really happy? Well I was in my storage locker a bit ago looking for some misc. things I didn't use on my Avenger build that I planned to use on my new eclipse build and lo and behold I had found my secret gem. A 6g72TT engine that I was going to put in the avenger but than decided (for whatever reason) against. Haha Merry Christmas right? But anyway can I dump that engine into my eclipse?

It's been done, or attempted anyways. i don't think he ever finished the build. it's going to take a lot of money/fabrication to make something like this work

heres anothoer example. but it's the 6a12TT
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hello fellow DSMers this is Chuck T of Hardcore Hotrods here to show you better pictures at different angles. In an effort to show you the different problems that need to be solved in this swap if you consider doing this yourself. I look forward to tackling these problems and completing this swap.

As you can see this engine fills the entire engine bay.

In this picture you can see the motor mount and turbo outlet interference.

The heater core tubes interfer with the rear turbo but turbo clears the firewall with enough space.

The left transmission is a jdm 6g72 n/a AWD and the right is a 4g63 AWD turbo transmission.

The left transmission in this pic is a 4g63 AWD turbo and the right transmission is a 6g72 n/a AWD.

The top intermediate shaft came with the 6g72 n/a AWD transmission. The bottom intermediate shaft came from a 4g63 AWD turbo transmission. The top transfer case came with the 6g72 n/a AWD transmission. The bottom is from a 4g63 AWD turbo transmission. Intermediate shafts and axles have the same splines although the V6 shaft appears to be slightly shorter and the carrier bearing brackets are different. The transfer cases are identical.

I provided these pictures because I couldn't find any pictures of a 3.0L 6g72tt in either a 1G or 2G car. I researched this swap for 6 months. It took me 6 additional months to get the right deal on the engine and transmission from ebay.

The first reason I started this thread was because there seemed to be a great interest in this swap. My last thread on this topic recieved 1900 views in 3 days. Please enjoy the pictures because I could not find any pictures at all of this motor in a 1G or 2G. These pictures detail all the problems I've encountered so far.

The second reason I started this thread is to find out who else has done this engine swap into a 1G or 2G Eclipse/Talon/Laser AWD chassis.

The engine swap I am asking about is the 3.0L 6g72tt V6 from a 3000GT VR-4 , GTO or Stealth installed with the AWD transmission.

I've seen one in person at a car meet a couple years ago, drove and everything. I took pictures, but they aren't on my phone.

Short answer: It's possible, it's been done, but don't expect to find a writeup/walk-through/etc on how to do it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back