The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The way it is, is correct.
Hey thanks. Does this apply to the 5th slider as well. More tapered side towards clutch housing?
Sorry for all the questions i appreciate the support!
Ha also what’s up with the 3rd gear sub gear? Does this come assembled if you order a new 3rd gear from Mitsu? If not how do you correctly install it?

Hub orientation matters the most. The slider can go on either way.

3rd gear subgear installation is pretty straight forward. Place subgear on, install wave spring centered facing convex placed onto the gear, and install snap ring, then press down evenly with 2 screwdrivers until it compresses the wave spring and the snapring fully seats. The sub gear should rotate under pressure but not bind. All of the gears and subgears are obsolete so you won't be finding a replacement from Mitsubishi.

Thank you,
Yes I see the cone spring which should be compressed by the snap ring. However, on the sub gear there are little arrows. Do these need to be clocked even tho the gear spins? Also the gear and many other parts are available in Japan here
https://www.amayama.com/en
The photo shows the sub gear

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Chances are if you place the order they will come back and say they cannot fill it in a couple days as the parts are discontinued. I have snagged a few items that were discontinued but for the most part if they’re gone they’re gone.

It looks fine, either smooth out any flaws in it and install it, or toss it and don't run the subgear, snapring or wave spring.

Being that you are using a 1991.6-1992.5 gearset, you need to use the matching subgear for a 1991.6-1999 DSM AWD then. The 1989-1991.5 and the Evo 1-3 style subgears only match to those gearsets and do not interchange.

From the start of the post until now I have changed transmissions ( I own two of these heart breakers). The recent photos including the sub gear is out of a 93 AWD.

Also Amayama checks and verifies part availability before you are able to submit payment, it's a day turn around." MD742728 (3rd gear) for 1993 is available, the sub gear is not.

The trans in the first photos is a 1990, with a 91 clutch housing and shift rail.

( i also have your TMZ built trans in my "street car" 90 TSI) I've been meaning to ask what the engraving in the photo represents?

Also Amayama checks and verifies part availability before you are able to submit payment,
Correct that’s what I was saying. Last order I submitted some parts took over a week for them to say were unavailable and remove from order before I could pay.

So here’s another dilemma. In the photos you will see the fifth gear, hub and slider. The one on the left is out of the stock 93 GSX. The one on the right is an OEM replacement I just received, part number. MD747653. So I’m wondering if this is a superseded part number which is why the slider is clearly thicker? Also was wondering if anyone knew the orientation of the slider does a thick part go towards reverse?

Thicker side goes towards reverse, how did you find a new 5/R hub and slider???? They are all obsolete.

As well, all you really needed to do was flip your slider on the used 5/R hub and slider assembly and smooth out the witness marks in the hub splines with a die grinder and a 2" or 3" medium grit scotchbrite roloc abrasive wheel and it would have been easily reusable with the better splines facing 5th gear side.

Thicker side goes towards reverse, how did you find a new 5/R hub and slider???? They are all obsolete.

As well, all you really needed to do was flip your slider on the used 5/R hub and slider assembly and smooth out the witness marks in the hub splines with a die grinder and a 2" or 3" medium grit scotchbrite roloc abrasive wheel and it would have been easily reusable with the better splines facing 5th gear side.
Thanks for info. I work for Chrysler and have access to parts catalogs and dealer inventory. I found this at MOPAR vintage parts.

Did you check and see if any others were available?

Maybe check on these if you could? Most are hub and sliders, with a few other parts sprinkled in.
MD724118
MD747647
MD746443
MD749416
MD747638
MD746292
MD746824
MD747162
MD744349
MD741396
MD735299
MD744350
MD747651
MD746716
MD742536
MD743313
MD743316
MD748095
MD747885
MD744839
MD749456

Last edited:
Did you check and see if any others were available?

Maybe check on these if you could?
MD724118
MD747647
MD746443
MD749416
MD747638
MD746292
MD746824
MD747162
MD744349
MD741396
MD735299
MD744350
MD747651
MD746716
MD742536
MD743313
MD743316
MD748095
MD747885
MD744839
:cool:

I’m just wondering if this is server hot spots or just some surface glazing that occurred? I swear it wasn’t this bad after I removed the clutch, this appeared after sitting.

Looks Hot Spotted to me but not horrible. I've seen much worse.

How bad do you think this is? Should I use it? I just noticed it going back together. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back