The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECMlink 1990 Talon Won't Start after Injectors and DSMlink.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG90

Probationary Member
May 29, 2017
Florence, Alabama
Ok so I've been having trouble with this 1990 Eagle Talon TSI. The car ran great before I dumped the 1800CC LowZ FIC Injectors in and hooked up DSMlink V3.

The car seems to not be getting fuel. We checked for spark and came back good, the MPI relay under the dash checked good.

I put a stock ECU back in with the 1800's and it started on one Cyl enough to idle for a few seconds on CYL3. Then I put the DSMlink ECU back in and it still fired on CYL 3 Until it wouldn't do anything again.

I did have a few wires touching from a bare spot in the engine harness. One of the wires I know was to the starter but there were 2 more I can't identify, when the wires were touching. The starter would engage with the car on accessory, Think that could have shorted anything out anywhere?

I'm so lost on this. DMS link should be able to control the FIC 1800's. I added a log of it cranking.

Attachments

• log.2017.08.04-20.elg
    21.1 KB · Views: 71
How did you know which cylinder was firing?
Also, in your log, injector duty cycle looks normal for cranking condition, even given the large injectors. Cranking rpm looks healthy. Airflow number looks normal too, for cranking. But "Battery" is grayed out and blank. I don't know why that would be.

In your log, the idle switch is not closed (it is 0). With 0% throttle it should be closed (1). Probably doesn't matter but it's odd.

"Starter would engage with the car on accessory" sounds really scary but I'm not so sure it would have roasted anything. As I remember, all the outputs from the ignition switch get their power from one circuit, the one that has a big 30 amp fusible link right on your battery + terminal. That 30 amp circuit supplies the ignition "on" and even the close to 30 amps that goes to the starter solenoid when key is on "start". In later cars that was a 40 amp circuit LOL. Well if it roasted anything maybe it roasted the ignition switch itself, running current through the wrong leg of it.

Do you have good wiring diagrams for the 1990? If you look at the "Photos" section in my user profile, there is a good large resolution shot of the 1990 engine harness with wire colors and ecu pin numbers. Be sure to look at it full size and drag it around. It's useless when you limit it to a window size or screen size. Download it to your computer so you have it. There are a couple other good wiring diagrams around too that are good to have, like the ones that show the ignition switch, which my diagram doesn't show.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back