The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

16g on 13g manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drooseph

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 4, 2010
san diego, California
I want to know if anyone has used a 1g auto, or 13g, turbo manifold with a 16g to help spool faster. I want to port the outlet on the manifold to match the inlet on the turbo. Will the smaller runner diameter on the manifold sppol the turbo faster. My idea is like blowing on a pinwheel with a straw instead of just your mouth/lips. I searched and i know it will bolt up fine but i want to know if i can actually get it to spool more quickly than with my 2g manifold.:confused:

Horrible idea. Lots of work for no beneficial gain.

If you want a quicker-spooling 16G, use an unported 2G manifold and an unported 6cm turbine housing from a 14B with the sealing ring in place. Just don't plan on running over 18psi or so with this setup or the smaller housing will become a restriction, and be prepared to deal with compressor surge as you'll be making the turbo generate more airflow than the engine can most likely handle under low rpm / high load situations.

What he said.
The 16g will bolt up fine if you have no other mani to use. But if you have the 2g mani already then it wouldnt make much sense to swap. The 2g mani flows better.

Im using a 14b with the 13g mani on my new auto car, but only till i can get my hands on a fp.

So I should keep my 13g mani on my t25 and use the 2g mani on the 16g when i swap turbos. I just wanted something different and thought that it might spool quicker, but thanks for the info.

Use the 2g manifold..It will help it spool better( more flow)..I see no gain using a 13b in the first place unless it's an auto car..Or you can use a ported 2g manifold, or a manual manifold..Also make sure you switch to a 2g or manual 02 housing..Cause the auto 02 manifold is junk if your going to use a bigger turbo..

Last edited:
It will spool faster, it spools fast anyway since its a 16g, but you'll sacrifice flow which is what you want especially since your FWD. The harder/earlier that 16g hits full boost the more traction problems you'll have coming off the line.

:dsm:

So the theory was correct though? same volume of air through a smaller hole WOULD make it spool faster. Having said that, its not worth it because it would ruin flow and any top end gains because of resriction.

I'm not convinced the runners on the 13G / 5cm 1G manifold are any smaller than the 14B / 6cm 1G manifold. That being said, you can grind your ass off to open up the tiny hole in the auto 1G manifold and all you'll have is a 1G manual manifold.

The manifold itself is not going to effect the spool of the turbo as much as the turbine housing geometry. The shape of the housing is what directs airflow toward the center of the turbine (quicker spool) or toward the tips of the turbine (more flow).

I have all three manifolds. A 2g, a 1g, and a 1g auto. visually the the runners look tiny on the 13g mani. Is there an easy way to measure interior diameter? I'm curious to measure the three for comparisons.

I have all three manifolds. A 2g, a 1g, and a 1g auto. visually the the runners look tiny on the 13g mani. Is there an easy way to measure interior diameter? I'm curious to measure the three for comparisons.

SO I was wrong the port side of the manifolds appear to be the same, but where it bolts to the turbo theres definatly a difference..Here's a pic..I don't have any of the runners inside though..

Attachments

• manifold outlets outlined.jpg
    manifold outlets outlined.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 79
  • AT -MT manifolds2.jpg
    AT -MT manifolds2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 86
SO I was wrong the port side of the manifolds appear to be the same, but where it bolts to the turbo theres definatly a difference..Here's a pic..I don't have any of the runners inside though..
Illustrating what was said earlier:
I'm not convinced the runners on the 13G / 5cm 1G manifold are any smaller than the 14B / 6cm 1G manifold. That being said, you can grind your ass off to open up the tiny hole in the auto 1G manifold and all you'll have is a 1G manual manifold.

A visual? I told you guys that i have all three manifolds. I still want to know how to measure without cutting it in half.

Just run the 2g manifold. You should be running it with the T25 anyway so you can use the sealing ring. It helps prevent exhaust leaks.

If you want a 16g to spool faster, get the 6cm exhaust housing off the 14b like Jus said. That will be your best bet. Get a small 16g too. Mine spooled stupid quick with a 6cm housing on it. The other variants of the 16g will also spool quick, but you seem to be willing to sacrifice all you can to gain spool up while still running a 16g.

Well my 2g hit pretty hard with just bolt ons. I recently drove an awd 1g with a 16g and absolutely hated it. The lag just ruined it for me. i got a free real mitsu 16g and since i just got my 2g running i want to put it on but if it lags like that i'd honestly rather keep the t25. I'm not looking for a certain power level or 1/4 mile time, i just want it to drive a certain way... its an extension of myself

I recently drove an awd 1g with a 16g and absolutely hated it. The lag just ruined it for me.
Who's to say the 1G didn't have a heap of issues that made it laggier than normal? Tune, boost leaks, pre-turbine exhaust leaks, wastegate not sealing properly.....etc. A 1G would also have a lower compression ratio which tends to make the car feel lazier off-boost.

Long ago, prior to ever buying my '92 TSi FWD (circa 2003), I test-drove a local DSM that supposedly had a SBR Bastard 20G, 650's, and a SBR FMIC installed. This car had absolutely no hit, and when you'd get on it hard the car would just cut out....so obviously something was wrong with the tune. On the way home from the test drive, my buddy Steve let me drive his '91 TSi AWD which (at the time) was equipped with a Big 16G @ 18psi, Supra SMIC, 550's, 2.5" Buschur exhaust, and an SAFC1. Steve's car was night-and-day more responsive and ran much better than the car I had just driven, and Steve's car had less potential when comparing bolt-ons.

My car was stock with just intake and exhaust with upped boost and if I was cruising in 3rd at like 3k I could punch it and break it loose. I just dont want the 16g to feel "smooshy" like this 1g I drove.

These guys are right the 1g's are going to be a little laggier with the 16 because of the lower compression..Unless of course your launching, that's a whole different thing..I drive a 1g auto with a 16g and it's not that bad, definatly a difference from the stock 13g with the instaboost, but definatly better at 3k + than the 13g.. And also your tune will make a hell of a difference as well when talking 1g with a 16g..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back