The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

16g instal with vrsf fmic

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gst_clipse

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 3, 2010
Jeffersonville, Indiana
after reading around i became even more confused so ill ask it here..i just got a 16g and a vrsf fmic for xmas and i was looking into how to install both and do my research before i try and do it my self..do you need to buy the j pipe from vr-speed factory and a 16g install kit say from extremepsi or forcedperformance? i know either way i got to buy the oil lines and everything else that comes with that install kit but i read somewhere maybe not on here but it said that the j pipe from vr speed factory would suffice in order to install both the fmic and the 16g???
thanks ahead of time..

Order the pipe from anyone it wont matter 14b or 16 the j pipe has one job, its simple, got my piple off ebay fit great no problems its in my pictures.

i understand i need the jpipe from vrspeed but do i need the other j pipe from the instal kit? in other words i need two j pipes in order to hook up both?..right?

Order the pipe from anyone it wont matter 14b or 16 the j pipe has one job, its simple, got my piple off ebay fit great no problems its in my pictures.

dude u respond to all my questions very quickly i appreciate it a lot..just thought i throw that out there..:thumb:

you only need one jpipe if the kit didnt come with one then you need to buy one easy as that and the rest should hook up you will need lines etc for the 16g to work on the 2g and the install kit is only used if your going to keep the stock intercooler.

Vr's j pipe is designed to point to the driver's side and so as long as you got that you won't need another if you didn't get one from them then you can get one from them or Dejon

LOL im sorry for confusing you..im confused too.let me try and clearify it..i received the j-pipe from vr speed with my intercooler..i then got a 16g (just the turbo)..what else do i need to instal both? maybe that might make it easier to understand..

Ok you need the install kit for the 16g, you must not have that. Are you missing something as to why its not hooked up you need the kit for that turbo.

i understand i need the jpipe from vrspeed but do i need the other j pipe from the instal kit? in other words i need two j pipes in order to hook up both?..right?

dude u respond to all my questions very quickly i appreciate it a lot..just thought i throw that out there..:thumb:

You only need to use the one j pipe from VRSF.

I have the same kit paired to my 16g. I had to ditch the VSRF pipe that came with the kit. The flange is pretty thin around the pipe and i could never get it to seal up properly. You need to put the pipe on with the turbo before you bolt it up to the exhaust manifold. The bolts are next to impossible to turn because of the angle the pipe is bent. I ended up getting a slowboy J-pipe. Its angle is not as sharp towards the drivers side and i was actually able to turn the bolts I put on. The VSRF pipe is a good piece if you can get it tight enough.

Yes you would use everything besides the j pipe from the install kit bit like ninharu said the jpipe from Vrsf is very hard to get a wrench or anything around it to tighten the bolts because of how it is bent. I bought Allen head and had to grind down the Allen wrench until it was little enough to fit

i need everything in the install kit but the j pipe? correct? since i already have the vrsf j pipe?

If everyone is saying ditch the jpipe then ditch it and get a better one like they said and "ALL" you need is lines for the turbo and gasket kit. The turbo "SHOULD" bolt right up to the "STOCK" manifold and o2 housing... Your making it hard on yourself than it really is

Last edited:
If you have the J pipe then try to use it, if you cant bolt it down like the post above said, find yourself another J pipe and sell the one you didnt use.
For the turbo kit, dont buy the FP kit. Many people have had problems with the return line hitting i belief the chasis and since the line is rubber, itll rip.
If money isn't a problem, look at Road Race Engineering's kit or ExtremePSI.
Good luck.

yea i kno but the only reason im asking these questions is because i talked to vrsf and they said that only their j pipe would work? i was jus seein if this was true or not but if not then ill send it back or something and get one from extremepsi or something..

J-pipe = :beatentodeath:

Listen, you bought the VR-Speed FMIC kit with the VR-Speed j-pipe so use the damn thing. It is a pain in the ass and damn near impossible to bolt the VRS j-pipe onto the turbo once the turbo is installed. So as said above, install the j-pipe to the turbo BEFORE you install it onto the exhaust manifold, not that hard to comprehend. To get it to seal properly onto the turbo, so you don't have boost leaks, run a thin bead of RTV around the opening.

Now that we've got that settled theres more to installing a 16g than replacing a few intercooler pipes. Many sponsored vendors on this site carry a complete 16g install kit with everything you'd need to install one. Most include the intercooler piping that you've already got though so I suggest calling the vendor you decide to purchase one from and tell them you don't need the IC pipes that way they lower the cost a bit.

:dsm:

J-pipe = :beatentodeath:

Listen, you bought the VR-Speed FMIC kit with the VR-Speed j-pipe so use the damn thing. It is a pain in the ass and damn near impossible to bolt the VRS j-pipe onto the turbo once the turbo is installed. So as said above, install the j-pipe to the turbo BEFORE you install it onto the exhaust manifold, not that hard to comprehend. To get it to seal properly onto the turbo, so you don't have boost leaks, run a thin bead of RTV around the opening.

Now that we've got that settled theres more to installing a 16g than replacing a few intercooler pipes. Many sponsored vendors on this site carry a complete 16g install kit with everything you'd need to install one. Most include the intercooler piping that you've already got though so I suggest calling the vendor you decide to purchase one from and tell them you don't need the IC pipes that way they lower the cost a bit.

:dsm:

:thumb:

I have one on my car and it would not seal for crap either. I finally pulled it off and check it against a straight edge. The flange was warped I assume from the welding process. I took a belt sander too it, got a new gasket, put a small film of rtv on everything and let it get tacky. Installed and have not had a problem since.

I bought the install kit from extreme psi. Well worth it in my opinion. The j-pipe is much better quality. I believe it's stainless steel. The install kit also includes all new gaskets and oil lines. I would go with the kit and sell the j-pipe that came with the intercooler.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back