The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

14b Turbo lag???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex2342

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2004
Mckeesport, Pennsylvania
Ever since I installed my I/C and GM maf I've noticed my turbo is taking longer to spool up. I'm reaching full boost (19psi) around 4200rpm and the logger is confirming this according to my timing curve. While doing 3rd gear pulls from 3k nothing happens for a second or two and then BAM!! 19psi all at once. It hasn't been much of a problem but I want to know why? I've done a boost leak test and found that my BOV flange, J-pipe, and an IC hose was leaking and fixed them all but it is still a problem. I can still hear a slight hiss that sounds like its coming from the valve cover or head but couldn't locate it. The head was rebuilt abou 6k miles ago. I've also crushed my 1g BOV (using a vacuum pump) shortened my vacuum lines for the MBC, and changed my lower injector seals. All this resulted in more boost (about 5psi had to back it down) and fixed my creeping problems but didn't help with spool up. My I/C measures 33/7/2.8 with 2.5" piping and I'm using a Perrin racing MBC that has a bleed off. Anybody have any ideas?

check whether the turbo is healthy
wht compression r u running on
isit the lag that u r feeling or is it the response that u dont feel
14bs should be running 19psi before 4k or at 4k

bt so many things could lead to this, even timing and tuning.

The motor is bone stock and healthy. I do have a very small crack in the 1g manifold but I doubt that's casing this as it was there before the upgrades. I thought maybe my turbo was going but it's not smoking , there's no shaft play, and it's holding boost. I'm going to check the wastegate actuator in the morning to see that it's closing all the way but I'm about out of ideas.

That's way high lag on that turbo. I hit 19psi on a 16g at 3200 in 3rd, and that's with a missing mani to turbo bolt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back