The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1.8l power swap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97spydagst

15+ Year Contributor
May 14, 2004
Burley, Idaho
hey guys i might be gettin a 1.8l 92 eclipse 5 speed i was just wondering what are my options to make it fast? swap a 4g63t in it? build the 1.8l let me know what you guys have done thanks alot

First of all if your not too sure about anyting about your car i would keep the 1.8 not tryin to sound rude but you'll bust something in the other motor the 1.8 can withstand damn near anything you can give it talk to ginsu417 he has a t-charged 1.8 thing is sweet as hell but for starters b4 you do all that do this...
First just add a cool air intake tube and a K-n-N filter then advance the distributer 3 degrees get better plugs and better wires, oh yeah and one more thing, get rid of that sluggish eclipse tranny and snatch ahold of a laser tranny, the gearing in them is different and the laser has more wayyyyy more torque

umm the 5 speed tranny's in the eclipse/talon/laser's are all the same they are not geared any diferently.. swapping the engine is up to you, id try modding the 1.8 alittle then decide.. adding a cheep ebay intake and a catback exhaust will make a noticble diference. if you till want more hp you can always turbo the 1.8 if you are up to it, if not your best bet would be to swap ... but this is up to what YOU want to do, but if it was me id mod the 1.8 because swapping can be a pain and the 1.8 is like a rock and can handle alot of abuse ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back