1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

05/06 Outlander "BIGGer brake upgrade"

Posted by GRNDSM, Mar 1, 2012

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. GRNDSM

GRNDSM Moderator

Joined May 16, 2002
    Chelmsford, Massachusetts
    There are several good threads on this topic, but I thought I would put this into a Tech Article with focus on weight and add some of my own photos.

One of the problems with upgrading your brakes, is that such upgrade is usually accompanied with increase in weight. Some aftermarket brake kits, like TCE, will gave you big brakes with reduction in weight, but not everyone can afford it.

So, until recently, "big DSM" brake upgrade was THE way to give yourself a bit more braking capability for budget conscious enthusiasts. Everyone knew that "big brakes" were heavier, but they just took it as inevitable.

05/06 Outlander brakes emerged recently as a better/bigger upgrade, but I want to add an extra merit to this conversion: you get more brakes, for not much additional weight!

To do this swap, you will need:
    05/06 Outlander caliper brackets MR307282 and two piston calipers (Outlander calipers use 2G style of brake lines, so 1G guys will ether have to use 93/94/GVR4 calipers with these brackets or do some creative plumbing, to adapt the lines)
    05/06 Outlander rotors (stock shields will have to be bent back)

That is IT! No other parts or adaptors!

I sourced my complete Outlander calipers at Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market, most of these junk yards will ship parts for relatively low cost. And since you are already paying for shipping, find a place in the south, so that you get some rust free parts!

As for rotors, there are dozens of sources to get them! I used drt-sport from Ebay, they caught my attention because of their powder coating options and low price, but they also ended being 5 min from house :).

Aside from being larger, Outlander rotors have different design and give you more rotor with relatively less weight! Here is weight sumary:

spread_sheet.jpg

As you can see, Outlander brakes give you extra 20mm over the "Big DSM" brakes, but your weight penalty is only 1.4lbs per side! That is the same increase in size as going from "Small DSM to Big DSM"!

img_2636.jpg

A few more comparison shot (Outlander/Big DSM/Small DSM):

img_2639.jpg

All done up:

img_2644.jpg

With a dirty 18" wheel over it:

2.jpg

Edit: I have recieved many questions about diffedrent wheel fitment. I only had it over my 18" wheels. But from other people's experience, I have seen that most 16" wheels fit over these brakes. Knowing just how little clearance between Galant VR4 brakes and stock, 15" wheels, I highly doubt that these brakes will fit under 15" wheels.

Other good threads on this topic:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/397589-new-brakes-gsx-budget.html
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dri...y-2-piston-big-rotor-upgrade-276mm-294mm.html

Enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017

Autocross Build 4K  22

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.9 @ 103 · 2G DSM

Street Build 3K  0

93 Eagle Summit AWD
    11.74 @ 118 · 4G63t Swapped

2K  0

1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    10.123 @ 138.060 · 1G DSM
  2. GRNDSM

GRNDSM Moderator

Joined May 16, 2002
    Chelmsford, Massachusetts
    Quick update:

I finally got a chance to test fit 16" OEM wheel over the Outlander brakes. I only had 1G "turbine wheel" laying around. It appears to have pretty bad caliper clearance and it JUST barely clears the caliper. I am talking about by around .010"!!! To bit too close for my comfort! If I had that little clearance, I would have ground-off some material from the caliper.

But I suspect that most aftermarket wheels will have more clearance.

c126d695.jpg

Bottom line: do not ASSUME that 16" will fit over these brakes, test fit them first!

Another quick update:

Stock GST spare tire will NOT clear Outlander caliper! If you find yourself in this situation, you would have to put the spare on the rear of the car and then rotate the rear tire to the front.

My guess is that EVO8/9 spare should work, but I haven't tried it yet. I will also try a GSX spare tire, but it is probably the same as GST.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014

Autocross Build 4K  22

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.9 @ 103 · 2G DSM

Street Build 3K  0

93 Eagle Summit AWD
    11.74 @ 118 · 4G63t Swapped

2K  0

1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    10.123 @ 138.060 · 1G DSM