The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Won't free rev past 3200

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talonman86096

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 22, 2006
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Ok so like the title states my car doesn't want to free rev past around 3200 rpm's. Just sitting in neutral if I try to rev up the engine when it hits about 3200 it seems to bogg a little and just doesn't want to go any higher kinda feels like a stutter also. However the car drives perfectly fine, boosts hard, and if I am lets so coasting down a hill or just coasting in general if I take out it out of gear it will rev just fine all the way up to redline no issues. It's not like I want to be able to sit around and rev my engine LOL but don't I know that's not supposed to be happening. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

My car does something very similar. Only in neutral while stationary, it will not rev past 4500. Mine almost sounds like I am hitting a rev limiter or fuel cut. Have done blt, checked logger, fixed broke sensors, and more but still has the same issue. Just yesterday did a compression test and found a cylinder is very low. I suggest you do all the same to try and locate the issue.

That my fried is what sounds to be a stutter box or something like that. It's designed to stutter around at a certain RPM when sitting still to build boost for launches. It's disengaged after a certain speed so it can go to the red line when moving. That's the only thing I can think it could be if your car otherwise runs well

I think they also call that a two-step launch control, but I am 92.3% certain mine does not have that; Like the OP... it otherwise seems to run fine. Was not until I started testing that I found the compression issues. May as well check about anyway. It could not hurt.

Yea I agree defiantly cant hurt to check around. I have checked compression recently which was all good across the board so I don't think that's it. I'm due for a blt which I will do in the next day or so. Now this stutter box or whatever is that something that is set through the ECU?or an actual device somewhere? I have link I don't know if there is somewhere through that I can control it?

I think it is part of the anti-lag in link or something. Not entirely sure, but it is worth looking into.

There is some explanations here.

Alright I will also to take a look into that

If thats what it turns out to be I definitely need to turn that off because I'm not one thats ever really going to be launching my car LOL.

Ok so I just hooked up to link and now I feel like a complete idiot LOL.Now I see I have Launch Limit set at 3250 (well previous owner did). No anti lag is enabled. So basically if I want to take that off I just need to set it at max which is 7000 correct? I didnt see any option to eliminate the option but I can change where I want it. I dont really plan on launching so I assume just setting it higher would be alright.

Alright I will also to take a look into that

If thats what it turns out to be I definitely need to turn that off because I'm not one thats ever really going to be launching my car LOL.

Ok so I just hooked up to link and now I feel like a complete idiot LOL.Now I see I have Launch Limit set at 3250 (well previous owner did). No anti lag is enabled. So basically if I want to take that off I just need to set it at max which is 7000 correct? I didnt see any option to eliminate the option but I can change where I want it. I dont really plan on launching so I assume just setting it higher would be alright.

Yes, just set it high enough that you won't hit it while revving at a standstill.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back