The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Wining sound coming from the engine bay

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inkdlyfe

Proven Member
Feb 23, 2016
Summer feild, Florida
Alright so i recently changed my rod bearing and coil pack to a used msd and replaced my valve cover gasket. i noticed I'm still leaking oil from the back of the seal I'm fixing that problem tmr,, but after getting it back on the road i noticed this weird sound coming from the front starting at about 2500 RPMS and gradually get louder as i accl this only happens in motion at a stand still i can hit 7000 RPMS and no sound at all ???? best way to say it sounds is if you blow up a balloon and let the air out while pulling the sides of the opening that wining sound is exactly what it sounds like... what is this ??? its very loud ,,,,,

Check your turbo for shaft play and check for boost leaks. Either you have a boost leak or your turbo is about to grenade, most likely.
The Talon I just bought had a shot turbo, and I was driving it a little bit while saving up to do a bunch of stuff at once, was fine to drive around at first, was just burning oil, but then I had to stop because the turbo started making some really unnerving noises and I didn't want to add engine rebuild to the list when it inevitably would have grenaded.

well heres the thing.. it only makes the sound while it is moving it dont make the sound what so ever while is is at a stand still... it only makes the sound while moving and accel past 2000 RPMS... there is minor shaft play but nothing crazy my friend saiid the play this turbo has is normal... and im not burning oil at all im leaking oil but i pressure washed the whole engine now now and the bottom end too so after it all drys imma start it back up

I highly doubt it a turbo deal because it only makes the sound while moving,,,,

I promise you it's the turbo. It only does it while moving because that's when its actually spinning fast, has engine load, and is building boost. Either your turbo is about to grenade or you have a boost leak, I would bet my paycheck on it, what you are describing is exactly the characteristic of this type of issue. Turbo's don't do much at idle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back