The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Wilwood DynaPro Big Brake Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I recently pruchased the Wilwood DynaPro Big Brake kit for my 2g fwd Eclipse, part #140-8292. I needed to upgrade since I worped the tiny stock 10" rotors with normal street driving, which seems to be common on the fwd turbos. The kit includes 12.2", 2 piece rotors, 4 piston calipers & PolyMatrix Q compound pads as well as all the required mounting hardware such as caliper relocation brackets etc. The only items not included are the SS braided brake lines, which much be purchased seperatley as the stock lines won't work with the Wilwood calipers. I purchased the complete setup with SS lines and upgraded to a HD rotor which is beefier, directionally vented & slotted from Todd at TCE www.tceperformanceproducts.com

The install is fairly straight forward and could be done by anyone with basic mechanical skills & tools in a couple hours. The only thing not included with the kit is .032" stainless steel safety wire, which is used to safety wire the rotor hat to rotor bolts. This can be purchased from your local motocross/atv store or airplane supply stores.

The install instructions from Wilwood are very detailed and there is no point in repeating them, so here is a link to the pdf:

http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/ds470.pdf

*Note: There is one typo in the install instructions that should be pointed out. In the instructions it says that once you have test fitted all the components & are installing the caliper to caliper mounting bracket nuts, torque them to 47 ft/lbs. This is incorrect and if you follow this spec you will end up with stripped caliper mounting bracket studs (yes this is known from personal experience). The correct torque spec for the the caliper to caliper mounting bracket nuts is 32 ft/lbs. I did however find out that Wilwood has excellent customer service. I contacted them about what had happend and they send me up 4 replacement studs & nuts overnight express, at their expense so I could replace them all.

Here are some photos of both the stock & the Wilwood setup:

Attachments

• brake1.JPG
    brake1.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 4,532
  • brake2.JPG
    brake2.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 3,913
  • brake3.JPG
    brake3.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 4,168
  • brake4.JPG
    brake4.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 4,015
  • brake5.JPG
    brake5.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 4,057
To add to this write-up; This Wilwood brake kit fits well with wheels 17" and larger. It will also fit some 16" wheels depending on design. But if you are trying to use this brake kit on some 16" or any 15" wheel that won't clear the caliper, there is a way to make it fit. You can swap out the 12.19" rotor to a 11.75 rotor. Any brand or style rotor will work as long as it is 11.75" diameter, .810" thick, and attaches to a 8x7.00" rotor hat. After that, the only other thing you need to do is turn down a new set of spacers. These calipers are radial mounted, so they use a set of spacers to set the positioning on the rotor. The Wilwood spacer is .425" thick (black in color), and the replacements for the 11.75" rotor are .195" thick. And that's it!

This is a neat option because there are limited big brake options for 15 and 16" wheels, and most of what is on the market is very pricey. This Wilwood kit can be had at a reasonable price, and replacement 11.75" rotors are only $40-70 each. So, good bang for the buck.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back