The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Why is my car so much faster?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsdsm

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 10, 2004
rochester, Minnesota
Ok this is what i have:

91 talon tsi awd
evo3 16g 6cm housing, 38mm flapper
apexi n1 3" exhaust
apexi 2.5" dp
2g o2 housing
2g exhaust manifold
walboro 255lph
act 2100 clutch kit

17" 2g wheels GSX

This is his set up:

90 talon tsi awd
evo3 16g 7cm housing, 38mm flapper
megan 3" dp
megan 3" exhaust
2g ported o2 housing
stock clutch
S-AFC 2 mild tune

16" 2g GST wheels

both have free mods and both running 10psi... i walked him when we were both in 3rd gear.... both are manual

tell me whats making my car so much quicker???????????

those are all the mods for each car? if so he might not be getting enough fuel to the engine on the stock pumps...or you are just a better driver

Here are the reasons why you walked him:

1. Both of you should do a compression test and see whos engine is in better condition.

2. Another thing I noticed is that he has a STOCK CLUTCH compared to your ACT2100. You will put more power to the ground compared to him because of the greater clamping force of the ACT2100.

first of all how could i be a better driver if we were both in 3rd gear never left 3rd????

could it be the 2g exhaust manifold ports are so much bigger than the 1g that it could make that much of a difference???

i walked him at top end..

haha less than me.

how can the fuel pump help out for 10psi? i'm pretty sure the stock fuel pump can support 10psi on the stock fuel pump with the evo3 16g

and the clutch wasn't slipping on his.. could it make that much of a difference?

Your car might have been treated better. His stock clutch isnt helping. I have a friend with the same car I have with the same mods except he has a 16g. When we race in 3rd gear I put 2 cars on him FAST. In 5th gear he final starts to catch up. I baby my ride, he beats the living s#$% out of his car :nono:

2g manifold won't make a huge difference but sounds logical. I still think either your engine is in better condition, or your ACT is giving you more power at the wheels due to high clamping force.

my car was not treated better... i bought my car that the owner has blown 2 motors in the car from not caring about the engines cuz he has a few at his house laying around..

Unless his stock clutch is actually slipping, there will be no difference in the clutche's determining which car is faster.

I would say compression check for one thing. Also:

Who's injectors are in better condition and flowing clean and properly?

Who's spark plugs are in better condition, gapped properly, and a good brand/heat plug?

Who has more vacuum/boost leaks?

Who's air/fuel ratio is better, and is his "mild tune" better than your stock tune?

Who's air filter is better?

Who's catalytic converter is flowing better, if you both have them?

Who's fuel filter is better?

Who's plug wires and coil is better?

Who's car has 200 lbs. of stereo equipment in it?

Who's pulling a better ignition timing?

I could probably go on, but I think you get the picture. There are SO MANY minor factors that could come into play here that it's not easy to pin-point. You can go to a dealership and buy 2 identical cars, and one may be quite a bit faster than the other. That being said, and seeing as though you are comparing a 14 year old car and a 15 year old car with mods, it's easy to see how one will be faster than the other, even with similar mods. Turns out you just have better luck. :thumb:

Yeah I agree with Catnox_95. It also depends if your car was made on a wedensday or friday LOL.

Ouch, the wednesday/friday deal.. they need to factor that into the KBB value ;)

LOL.....i would think if someone posted something like this, they would get nagged...but anywho....

there are soooo many reason why...

Size tires, weigh of person, milage on the car, the type of oil, clutch, how much clutch is there, exhaust or boost leaks, car was beaten to death, fowel injectors, bad spark plugs, blah blah blah, the list goes on and on and on

but lets narrow it down, the clutch. ACt will put down more hp to the wheels than stock, it also doesnt smell like sH*t

some humor....

This is act ===> ( ACT ) this is Stock =======> :tease: (stock)

...I'm stuck in a library in college doing absoultly nothing (I'm supposed to be doing homework and work and the blah blah blah I don't cares of schools, give me a break and feel my pain....)

97EclipseGSTer said:
ACt will put down more hp to the wheels than stock, it also doesnt smell like sH*t

Man, I hope you guys are joking. People must be playing NFSU too much.

A HEAVIER CLUTCH DOES NOT TRANSFER MORE POWER.

All an upgraded clutch does it hold up to abuse better without slipping, grenading or frying. A nonslipping stock clutch will transfer the same power to the ground than an nonslipping ACT clutch. In fact, it actually may transfer a tiny, tiny, TINY bit less due to the added drag from the increased lateral forces on the crankshaft.

The clutch is a launch issue, that is about it. Unless it's slipping, it's a moot point. psychlow, tell us how you really feel ROFL

Tuning would have the biggest impact, followed by the engine health, and so on.

I assume this is from a roll, a matched X MPH and then WOT to redline?

The answer is quite logical really. Because. Just because.

BAM there it is.
This arguement is pretty worthless. Post some logs and compression test numbers and we can give you an answer, until then...

Man, I hope you guys are joking. People must be playing NFSU too much.

A HEAVIER CLUTCH DOES NOT TRANSFER MORE POWER.

Well depends on your situation there. Clutch isn't just for launching, do you guys even know how a clutch works? Well I am not going to give you a lecture on clutches. Anyway, if the stock clutch is slipping because of extra torque or horsepower it is because the clamping force of the stock pressure plate assembly doesn't have enough clamping force to sandwich the clutch between the flywheel and pressure plate. That means the engine will be rotating and the pressureplate doesn't have enough clamping force to match the engine speed to the input shaft of your tranny.

Anyway depending on your situation an upgraded clutch kit such as the ACT2600 could put down more power if your stock clutch assembly is slipping.

Omega said:
psychlow, tell us how you really feel ROFL
I wanted to make sure the point was getting (read: beaten) across. It's been brought up multiple times in this thread, yet I guess some weren't paying attention....

Well depends on your situation there. Clutch isn't just for launching, do you guys even know how a clutch works?
No, I was talking out of my ass for the fun of it. Do you even know how to read the entire post?
Anyway depending on your situation an upgraded clutch kit such as the ACT2600 could put down more power if your stock clutch assembly is slipping.
Me said:
A nonslipping stock clutch will transfer the same power to the ground than an nonslipping ACT clutch.

If his clutch is slipping in 3rd gear, it's utterly and completely screwed. I have a T04B set at 18 PSI on a STOCK CLUTCH, and it doesn't slip in 3rd gear.

You also have to be a moron not to know if you're clutch is slipping. If the smell didn't queue you off, the fact that you're going nowhere fast but the RPMs keep climbing MIGHT be an indicator.

Anyway close thread. Too many factors, there is no way to pin point what made your car faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back