The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Wheel brearing, Inner tie rod, axel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6boltspyder99

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 6, 2009
Islip, New_York
Im getting a clicking/ rubbing / grinding sound coming from my passenger side wheel when I drive. Slight vibration in my foot. I thought it was the wheel bearing for the longest time, but now Im not so sure. In first and second you can hear it a lot but in the higher gears when Im going faster you can’t. I lifted the car yesterday to check if it was the bearing but the wheels don’t shake much at all. So now Im thinking it’s the axel. When Im in gear and on the gas I hear the noise, but if I shift to neutral the noise stops so it can’t be the bearing. Anyone have any ideas?

Is the boot around the axle torn? Check closely if the rubber boot around where the axle meets the hub is torn at all.

Also the only way it would be a wheel bearing making that noise is if it is a very shot wheel bearing, in my experience. From your explanation your wheel bearing doesn't sound like the culprit.

I checked both rubber boots on each side neither of which looked torn at all. However i did notice something else torn. Its in the image below, however I dont think that would be the problem..

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Any guesses of where to look next?

sounds to me like its your axle. whats it sound like when you turn right or left?

no sounds when turning. I have had an axel go before and this doesnt really sound like that. Unless its the very beginning stages of it going.

Are you sure its not something silly, like your dust shield rubbing on your rotor? Or bad brake pads? Just food for thought.

Good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back