The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Inner Tie Rod Replacement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phat95Talon

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 3, 2002
I have been searching for information on replacing the inner tie rods. There doesnt seem to be a tech article and just about everything I pull up in a search is for the outer tie rods. :mad:

I replaced my outer tie rods about a year ago. About 3 weeks ago I put on new cross drilled rotors and pads. My tires are also fairly new (and pretty balanced) but I am still getting some shaking in the stearing wheel and and am hearing something (like a clanking sound) when I first start the car and move it. I hear more than just when I put it in gear so I don't think it's a motor mount. I'm thinking this is my inner tie rods right?

I found the tie rods for about $50 a piece. Is this a complicated task? Who's done it?? :confused:

I just did it 2 months ago. Make sure it really is the problem first since there are many other things that can cause shaking also. Raise one front wheel off and see if there is excess play in the tie rod movement when you try pushing/pulling on the outside rear of the wheel halfway up. If the tie rod moves (or there is play there) and the steering wheel doesn't move, then your inner tie rods need replacement. Check the other side also. If one is bad you should replace both tie rods since the other will probably go next.

The manual will say to remove the entire steering rack but this is a lot of work and not necessary if you're careful. First remove the wheels and stays (triangular plates under each tie rod). Then start one side at a time by turning wheel all the way over to extend that tie rod. Then remove outer tie rod end (count the number of turns each is screwed on to put back on later). Remove outer bellows clip and CAREFULLY remove inner bellows band. If you are very careful about this (bend tabs on band with flat screwdriver just enough so you can get it off by sqweezing slightly with large pliers) you can re-use it (bend tabs back), otherwise you will have to get new bands. You will see what I mean when you look at it. Slide the bellows and band off. Next bend the tab washer locking tabs off the tie rod using a screwdriver and hammer. Now loosen the tie rod using a 32mm wrench (or a monkee wrench if you don't have one). The new rods will come with a new tab washer which you are going to have to bend the tabs over the tie rod after it is tightened. This is going to be a challege as they must now be bent outwards. I don't have a good way - I just took the longest screwdriver I had and hit it from the inside out (while under the center of the car) as best I could. Perhaps someone has a better way. Replace the bellows if damaged (usually they are ok. You can PM me if have questions.

luv2rallye...very good explanation on the correct way to remove and install inner tie rods. The only thing that I have to add is to make sure that you support the rack shaft (the part the inner tie rods screw into) so that you don't damage the rack shaft or the pinion shaft (where the coupling hooks on). Also on power rack and pinions it is important to support the rack shaft so that you don't clip the rack shaft seal and cause the rack & pinion to leak. :thumb:

kinda a old thread. But where did you guys find the inner tie rod? When i look in caps i cant find a part number for it. Did you get it from the dealer or autozone or somthing?

You can try a parts house or the dealer, but my suggestion is to call a local power steering rebuilder in your area and see if they will sell you one. That may be the cheapest route.

hahaha, are you stalking me around the internet??? :sneaky:

Call Jerry and set up a "fix your tie-rod" day! I'd help you but my car broke down before I fixed it.....and it's stayed down. I should be driving it next week so I'm sure I'll still have the problem. :rolleyes:

My mechanic is going to put on my new springs before I pick it up so I'm going to have him check it out. I'll let you know what he find out and what he suggests.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back