The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

what's the best fwd turbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
suicidal2af said:
Stock for stock running against my friend Dave's GSX, I walked away from him from a roll with no difficulty. From a dig, it was the other way around.

We have a lot less drivetrain loss, and a 300lb weight difference, along with taller gearing. Given identical mods, a FWD will easily pull away on the highway.

Yeah maybe, but who races stock DSM's? And if so, why?

Mirage2LTurbo said:
Yeah maybe, but who races stock DSM's? And if so, why?

Totally off topic but, is the time under you name correct? If so your tranny must suck.

Ok if u have wheel hop with a t25 you have horribl3e tires. Go get some cheap DR's or some potenzas, they have been the best street tire i have found. personally u can wait on suspensio if u wnted to, you just need tires. but 2g's dropped r f'n beautiful. my .02

Mirage2LTurbo said:
That's all great and stuff that your FWD finally gets out of it's own way on the highway, but don't think for a second that you're going to walk all over an AWD with a similar setup. The difference is not that much.

PREDICTION - The lockbox-fairys will turn the key on one of the more informative FWD-related threads around here in a while.

Lets please, for the love of diamond star motors, not turn this into the official "10,000th AWD debate." :thumbdown

This thread is inspiring. All the FWD guys on here rarely talk about anything because they know someone will yell "Just sell that FWD, it can only drive on the highway." Topic? :dsm: :talon: :laser:

I love my Evo 3, I think that it is perfect for a FWD looking to make some respectable - useable - street power. Many threads have talked about people getting super laggy turbos to give the car a bit of a head start traction wise. This way they can get a roll started before boost hits. I did read a previous thread about the T28 and someone mentioned how the quick spool up made it difficult to keep traction with the FWD.

Can a single thread on this site stay on topic rather than become a discussion about how much better AWD is? I personally would much rather spin my tires then burn up my clutch or blow my tranny any day. :thumb:

Sounds like the evo3 16g is the best bet but i don't like the j-pipe so i will probably go with the t-28 killer or the SCM5027E. thanks a lot i really helped me out about doing traction mods before I go bolting on a big turbo.

Syndicate13 said:
Totally off topic but, is the time under you name correct? If so your tranny must suck.

Yes, stock tranny (attempting to) shifting at 9200.

I'm not debating that AWD's are better, I'm just saying that launch and the first couple gears are everything. Spray 4th gear at the track, and see how much it improves your time. Spray second gear, and compare. If you're racing from a 60 roll, the difference in a modified AWD and FWD are not going to be much. See my second sentence for an example.

Point is, you're asking "What's the best FWD turbo?" There is no best turbo. You can get a turbo that will spool later and make more power, it's still going to spin the wheels. Or you can get a smaller turbo that makes less power and spools earlier, and will still spin the tires. Get some good tires, good suspension, and stop making dumb posts like "What turbo should I buy?" Learn to drive, and shoot for how much power you want/what kind of times you want. Don't go to the track on street tires in a FWD and wonder why you can't set the record time.

A 50 trim is a good turbo, FWD, AWD, or if you like Conquests, RWD. It'll make the same amount of power across all the setups. The drivetrain loss is there on the AWD's, but it's not as bad as the "tuners" on here think. It comes down to driving, the end all be all of drag racing.

That's great and all, but I still noticed the more gradual slower spool of the Evo3 was easier to manage then the frantic instant spool of the T-25, and I had all of my suspension mods, tires and mounts in place at the time. It does make a difference to get a little headstart before all the power hits.
babyviper said:
Sounds like the evo3 16g is the best bet but i don't like the j-pipe

I felt the same way. But it really isn't that bad. You'll be dispointed if you pass up what is IMO the bast bang for buck turbo there is. I've heard too many people talk about disapointment with the t28 series.

Mirage2LTurbo said:
Point is, you're asking "What's the best FWD turbo?" ... and stop making dumb posts like "What turbo should I buy?" ... It comes down to driving, the end all be all of drag racing.

Okay, so this discussion is beneath you O great and mighty AWD owner. The original question was more general and not necessarily only about drag racing. Other daily driving situations might call for roll on power, which might be just as important to him. Thank you for sharing your grace with us lesser beings.

I'm not debating that AWD's are better,
Really.
That's all great and stuff that your FWD finally gets out of it's own way on the highway, but don't think for a second that you're going to walk all over an AWD with a similar setup.
Right. :rolleyes:

With my current mods I was able to walk away from a stock Evo quite easily from a 60 punch. From a stop I know it would have been all over for me - but that's cool - a race is a race. FWD people have to realize they have to spend more on things like tires, suspension setup, LSD's, wieght reduction and maybe EBC early. Its just so easy to get carried away with making power with the 4G63 and getting frustrated cause you can't hook.

I like the idea of a slower spooling turbo on a FWD as a way of controlling spin. I roast the tires with my tinty-T2small at low RPMs all the time.

Heres a question: Will a 50 trim pull as hard in a 3rd-2nd drop as a T25 at low boost? Say your jumping the rpms to about 4500... Will lag be minimally noticed because it should spool pretty quick from 4500rpms right? (I think I just need like 10 different turbo setups all parked in a row to test out...) :rolleyes:

ive been to turbo trix before....and junior thet guy who used to tune the safc there on the dyno said and i quote...."theres is a black fwd eclipse in the back that will out launch any awd in here besides there evo (which i must say is crazyyyy $hit)" my .02 would be get a laggy turbo...im fwd myself and im looking towards the sbr gt14 or the gt35r....pricey..but worth it.... so with the awd and fwd thing...point is if u can get a fwd to launch like an awd fwd wins cause ur only turning 2 instead of 4...plus i like ripping on the p-way and see the look on peoples faces when u roast in rd gear entering the ON ramp..... :laugh: ... :dsm:

That GST is SICK to say the least. Only problem is...it's a path not many are willing to take. Gutted interior, built motor and nitrous? Hmm...everyday drivers need not apply. I'm planning on getting a 50 trim in the near future. AWD would be nice to have but you work with what you have. I'm not gonna dump my car because it "can't hook." I love it too much. If it's a street car FWD is the way to go. You'll appreciate your GST/TSI when you run into a high powered domestic on the highway or a Supra.

GinNBoost said:
That GST is SICK to say the least. Only problem is...it's a path not many are willing to take. Gutted interior, built motor and nitrous? Hmm...everyday drivers need not apply. I'm planning on getting a 50 trim in the near future. AWD would be nice to have but you work with what you have. I'm not gonna dump my car because it "can't hook." I love it too much. If it's a street car FWD is the way to go. You'll appreciate your GST/TSI when you run into a high powered domestic on the highway or a Supra.

You talk about FWD as if itwill eventually hook. Funny how everyone talking about traction "issues" in here runs a b16g or a 50trim. Coming from owning a 400hp gutted Mirage, the shit doensn't hook until 4th gear, and I don't count chirping third as a traction issue.

FWD is a shitty platform, plain and simple. If you want to make sub 400hp and roll around on drag radials, you'll hook good in second. Other than that, and you can cry all you want that I'm making this an AWD vs. FWD thread, I'm not. You are saying "FWD is the way to go on the highway" and I'm saying "Not really."

Mirage2LTurbo said:
You talk about FWD as if itwill eventually hook. Funny how everyone talking about traction "issues" in here runs a b16g or a 50trim. Coming from owning a 400hp gutted Mirage, the shit doensn't hook until 4th gear, and I don't count chirping third as a traction issue.

FWD is a shitty platform, plain and simple. If you want to make sub 400hp and roll around on drag radials, you'll hook good in second. Other than that, and you can cry all you want that I'm making this an AWD vs. FWD thread, I'm not. You are saying "FWD is the way to go on the highway" and I'm saying "Not really."

if fwd is a **itty plat form than explian this.
http://www.ericksracing.com/raceteam.htm
those are some fwd n/a hondas that will beat you.

Those EG6's are hella light, and there are several 10's capable versions that are street driven. Granted they get to the track, swap to slicks and start breaking people off.

I've also seen several street legal/driven Teg's and heavier EK Civics in the 11's and 12's. They had no choice but to make do with what they have, instead of dumping them for AWD versions. Its too bad the FWD DSM market just doesn't get much love. It should still be okay for a group of us to get together and talk without having to deal with constant flames.

babyviper said:
if fwd is a **itty plat form than explian this.
http://www.ericksracing.com/raceteam.htm
those are some fwd n/a hondas that will beat you.

Idiot. Yeah, they are running faster than I did last season. They are also dedicated track cars with one piece front ends and wheelie bars and motors that require VP16 to idle with 2 gallon fuel cells. If you'd re-read my posts, I've never said they aren't a capable platform, I said they were a shitty platform.

I have much love for the big 16g I have on my car.
I am fwd, and the only suspension mods on my car to date have been kyb struts, window welded engine mounts, and intrax springs. I find that the 16g doesnt spool much slower than the 14b, makes excellent power, and is very good at spooling up when downshifting, or rolling into the throttle without being " peaky", and it also has a very wide powerband.
Now the disclaimer part, I ran consistant, low 12 second passes with my b16 on 26x 9
slicks, and I also have a quaiffe diff. I have personally shattered two stock differentials
and I strongly suggest an LSD of some kind if youre goin racing of any kind, this diff is flat out fantastic.
This spring I plan on intsalling, an AGP 50, or 57 trim turbo/ manifold combo, and I will hopefully be making a little over 500 whp (fingers crossed).
Maybe a little later in the year I will be able to post on the effects of really high horsepower levels in fwd applications.

I'm in the process of "bolting up" my PTE Pt67. Will let you guys know how that goes. Hope to hit the dyno in 2 weeks. Had a .81 hotside but going to .48 to see how it spools, may try a .63 later. Have to play with it and see boost/traction goes.

ClipseT96 said:
I'm in the process of "bolting up" my PTE Pt67. Will let you guys know how that goes. Hope to hit the dyno in 2 weeks. Had a .81 hotside but going to .48 to see how it spools, may try a .63 later. Have to play with it and see boost/traction goes.

Yes, do let us know. Also, I didn't know Precision makes a t3/t4 version of the full T4 PT67 that I have..

they dont. Just had tad the t3 flange cut off my dnp manifold and a t4 welded on. :D

ClipseT96 said:
they dont. Just had tad the t3 flange cut off my dnp manifold and a t4 welded on. :D

Ok, you're talking about modifying manifolds to fit a full T4 turbo, then you talk about your T4 turbo having T3 hotsides. What the hell are you running?

Its a PTE PT67. It had a .81 hotside on it when i bought it. BUt we are going to use a .48 to see how fast it spools.

Mirage2LTurbo said:
If you'd re-read my posts, I've never said they aren't a capable platform, I said they were a shitty platform.

What's the difference. :D

Look, I have a FWD and guess what, it sucks and I want to convert ASAP. AWD just rocks for just about any application. But fwd can be set up in a race application to BEAT an AWD but whats the point arguing apples and orages.

Supposedly the 300 Hemi C SRT/8 (6.1L @ 425HP) is available with AWD now. I wonder if these guys are gunna be arguing with each other over the same subject? :D Also if you have the choice of any setup for your "full drag setup" dsm, just mount the 700hp beast N/S and attach a powerglide and a 9" to it.

Oh yea, lets stay on the subject... :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back