The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

what's the best fwd turbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

babyviper

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 12, 2003
Mays Landing, New_Jersey
I have a stock gs-t spyder and this wheel hop and no traction is pissing me off and when i upgrade i don't want to buy a turbo that is going to make it even worse. I am going to do traction mods first(shocks, springs, swaybar, and better tires) and I was thinking of getting a fp big t-28 but I heard being that it spools up fast it burns up the tires. The other turbo i was thinking of getting was the SCM52 60-1 .63AR / 76 exhaust, because it spools up later.

I personally have the FP big T28 and I will be blunt, i do not have tire tread left unfortunately, but if you like to roll race and beat up on people then i would reccomend this turbo or he evo 16g. No matter what you do grabbing traction w/ FWD is always going to suck.
Do a search on Evo 16g vs T28 :thumb:

I have a T3/t4b, traction is going to be horrible, but just remember, fwd+big turbo+supporting mods+tuning= scareing the living shit out of people when you roast your tires at the top of 3rd gear on the freeway :cool: :thumb: and a nice set of axels for those slicks at the track :thumb: good luck man :dsm:

babyviper, thats just something you're gonna have to get used to. I sometimes find it amusing.....just not when im racing. its almost inevitable. I have urethane motor mounts and a 2200 pressure plate and a first-second shift @5000 rpm (full throttle)...its really serious, even on my t-25 @15lds. All of this with suspension mods. try not to shift too fast @full throttle, especially in the turbo's "sweet spot".LOL. But then again, where is the fun in that?

i usually let rpm rise to 7000(where my t-25 is of no use) and shift there. Ill lose less time doing that than wheelhopping for about 2 seconds.......i doubt this strategy will work with a clipped 16 or better. :D

My Evo3 spools a good bit slower then the T25 did, so it is a lot more tolerable. But you have to get the suspension wrok first. If I had it to do all over again, I'd have installed a Quaife or KAAZ right off the top to my bone stock car when I got it.

babyviper said:
I have a stock gs-t spyder and this wheel hop and no traction is pissing me off and when i upgrade i don't want to buy a turbo that is going to make it even worse. I am going to do traction mods first(shocks, springs, swaybar, and better tires) and I was thinking of getting a fp big t-28 but I heard being that it spools up fast it burns up the tires. The other turbo i was thinking of getting was the SCM52 60-1 .63AR / 76 exhaust, because it spools up later.

Love your ride man :thumb: I was pondering the same exact decision some time back. I really think the Evo316g is the best choice for such an application. Get it tuned right and back the boost off until you can control the hop. The spin is much easier to deal with than the hop. ;) Right now I have 2 busted inner motor mounts and the damn car feels like a jackhammer on take off. :cry: Which reminds me......... new thread :p

GPTourer said:
My Evo3 spools a good bit slower then the T25 did, so it is a lot more tolerable. But you have to get the suspension wrok first. If I had it to do all over again, I'd have installed a Quaife or KAAZ right off the top to my bone stock car when I got it.

I have the kaaz installed on my 92 fwd TSi and it did wonders for traction. I have virtually no wheel spin during the 1-2 shift it just grabs and goes even with my 16g and supporting mods. Highly recommended if your going with a bigger turbo. :thumb:

In my opinion........it all depends on what your goals are for the car. If you dont plan on going "huge" an Evo 16g is a great turbo with lots of potential for any DSM.

As for myself. I went from the 14b to a small 16g, then a Sleeper 16G and now the SBR GT-10 that I currently run. Of all those turbos Iam the most pleased with the -10. Its a tiny bit more laggy than the 16g's but the boost on set is incredible.

Urethane mounts are a must to get rid of that wheel hop......or atleast reduce it. Tho, I noticed with my urethane mounts the wheelhop was reduced but seemed "quicker" when I did get it. The addition of a BM lsd helped out with the rest and made the torque steer alot more managable.

Awd halfshaft is a must. By installing it you will decrease torque steer, because you are running equal length axles. The only downside is that the axles are a little slimmer than the gst axles. But its better than having one really long axle and one short one. Install that, lsd insert (or clutch type lsd), better clutch, some suspension work, slicks and some good drivin will get you to launch that car rite and handle the power.

Also I have the poly mounts myself and can't wait till my cars running to see how they work. Those along with no balance shafts will make the car rumble, I CAN'T WAIT!

Yes, it all depends on what you want out of the car. I loved driving my FWD with the 60-1. It was a laggy turbo, but made driving the fwd alot of fun. Theres nothing like pulling away from a 954RR on the highway! :)

If your looking for a very easy to drive and fun fwd, I'd go with the EVO 16g. Great turbo, great power, and cheap. When I look back, my car was the most fun, and reliable, to drive with the EVO.

As far as traction goes, get and LSD, adjustable rear struts, and some prothanes.

Nate
SBR

Hey nate do you use a dual stage controller. Or do you take all the boost off the line. Also when you had the evo turbo did you run it clipped/ and ported

I have the AGP 50 trim kit and the Dsmchips ECU. The stutterbox set at 3750 and I can feather the clutch out and get decent launches. Very minimal wheel hop/spin as long as I have the profec set to low boost (1 bar). But as said before, the highway is where it is at with FWD cars...

fish3rboi said:
I have the AGP 50 trim kit and the Dsmchips ECU. The stutterbox set at 3750 and I can feather the clutch out and get decent launches. Very minimal wheel hop/spin as long as I have the profec set to low boost (1 bar). But as said before, the highway is where it is at with FWD cars...

That's all great and stuff that your FWD finally gets out of it's own way on the highway, but don't think for a second that you're going to walk all over an AWD with a similar setup. The difference is not that much.

killab443 said:
Awd halfshaft is a must. By installing it you will decrease torque steer, because you are running equal length axles. The only downside is that the axles are a little slimmer than the gst axles. But its better than having one really long axle and one short one. Install that, lsd insert (or clutch type lsd), better clutch, some suspension work, slicks and some good drivin will get you to launch that car rite and handle the power.

Also I have the poly mounts myself and can't wait till my cars running to see how they work. Those along with no balance shafts will make the car rumble, I CAN'T WAIT!

It's funny that you mention this. I was talking with Jon at TRE whilst trying to figure out my friend's bastard of a transmission and got on the subject of axles. He said that in their race car they had a Quaife and went to the AWD axles for the same reason as above. He said the car would not go straight to save it's life, they'd have to fight it to keep it where they wanted it. Then they busted an axle and threw in the FWD setup once again as a temporary fix, turns out the car tracked stright as an arrow with the unequal axles. Just something to think about.

Mirage2LTurbo said:
That's all great and stuff that your FWD finally gets out of it's own way on the highway, but don't think for a second that you're going to walk all over an AWD with a similar setup. The difference is not that much.

When did I mention being faster than an AWD car (or any car for that matter)? I simply answered the original poster's question by telling him my personal experience. :confused:

fish3rboi said:
When did I mention being faster than an AWD car (or any car for that matter)? I simply answered the original poster's question by telling him my personal experience. :confused:

He was referring to where you said the highway is where it's at for FWD cars. The difference in 2 similarly setup cars, one being FWD and one being AWD, is not as much as most might think.

Syndicate13 said:
He was referring to where you said the highway is where it's at for FWD cars. The difference in 2 similarly setup cars, one being FWD and one being AWD, is not as much as most might think.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Syndicate13 said:

I have both and being totally unbiased I can say that there is a difference.

Syndicate13 said:

Ok, I say this again... I never tried to make a comparisson between the cars, nor did I write anything that stated FWD is better than AWD. :confused: I simply said that from a stop, the weaknesses of a FWD are apparent. Without proper modifications, highway driving is where it accels. Stop putting words into my mouth please!

fish3rboi said:
I simply said that from a stop, the weaknesses of a FWD are apparent. Without proper modifications, highway driving is where it accels.

:) :thumb: :dsm:

Syndicate13 said:
It's funny that you mention this. I was talking with Jon at TRE whilst trying to figure out my friend's bastard of a transmission and got on the subject of axles. He said that in their race car they had a Quaife and went to the AWD axles for the same reason as above. He said the car would not go straight to save it's life, they'd have to fight it to keep it where they wanted it. Then they busted an axle and threw in the FWD setup once again as a temporary fix, turns out the car tracked stright as an arrow with the unequal axles. Just something to think about.
wow that is interesting, i guess you learn something new everyday :thumb:

I was just thinkin to myself, thought i might add the stock fwd differential probly does better with the awd equal axles because the differential is open. Making both axles equal will decrease torque steer because there is no bigger axle to get less power. In a LSD differntial you dont have to worry about the shorter axle getting more power, because the same power is distrubted to both wheels. Just a thought

Like I said, that's great that your FWD finally get out of their own way at 60-100mph. My old Mirage finally got going in fourth gear... ;)

Mirage2LTurbo said:

Stock for stock running against my friend Dave's GSX, I walked away from him from a roll with no difficulty. From a dig, it was the other way around.

We have a lot less drivetrain loss, and a 300lb weight difference, along with taller gearing. Given identical mods, a FWD will easily pull away on the highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back