The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Whats my next step?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got Boooost

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 9, 2008
Airdrie, AB_Canada
Hey guys,
Im in need of some expert advise. my engine is making some valve train noise it seems when i rev the motor. it started making this noise while driving home on the highway. I ended up driving it like this for about 4 kms. when it happened the noise whas really loud and slowly quieted down, but never fully went away. Ive done a compresion test and im at 130 in all 4 cylinders. i thought it that my automatic timing belt tensioner might have failed so I replaced that this weekend and the noise is still there, however its not as noisy now as in the video. Ive recheck my timing and Im dead on. Ive pulled the valve cover and everything is tight. My engine is freshly rebuilt with 2000kms on it, I bored it out 20 over, I had the valves reangled 3 degrees, im running comp cams with BC valve springs.

Ive hit a wall and im not sure what i should do next. My biggest worry right now is Im probably going to have to rebuild the head again, Im hoping thats not the case.

does anyone have any advise or ideas of what my problem might be?

thanks for the help

YouTube - 98 Talon Tsi engine noise

also heres a data log of my motor running just after i installed the automatic timing belt tension. I never got the car up to operating temps b/c when I logged this i still have the water pump, alt. PS and AC all disconnected. It does show in the log when i rev it up there is some knock, Im not sure if that has anything to do with my problem or that the motor isnt at operating temps.

Attachments

• log.2009.09.27-02.elg
    25.6 KB · Views: 40
When i did the compression test, i took all the spark plugs out, opened the throttle all the way and turned the motor over about 8 times.
I kept the balance shaft, and i checked the timing and its right on as well.

sounds like a collapsed lifter.. take the valve cover off.. and wiggle all your rockers side to side to see if ones loose.. if it is.. you need to remove it... and clean it... then reprime it.. and reinstall... i believe the way the v### describes the lifter that collapsed as "ticked like gregory hines" .. and thats exactly what it sounds like... good luck you chouldn't need a rebuild.. it runs great...

he didn't get it up to operating temp.. thats why they weren't at 150 160 ish.. just to clear that up... he said that inthe OP

i just re read it... i'm about 99 % sure its a partially collapsed lifter... you state it was louder... then it went away slightly.. .a lifter has a one way check valve in it if you will... and it takes oil pressure for it to "pump" it up to the right height... pull cover... check it out

I pulled the valve cover tonight and checked the rockers, i tried moving them by hand and couldnt get them to move, but when i put a screw driver between the rocker and cylinder head and applied small pressure the rockers has slight side to side movement, Is this normal and would this be causing my issue? I did install all new topline lifters when i rebuilt my motor however i never primed them, and kept the original rockers, but i did prime the motor before the first start, could this maybe be apart of my problem?

Thanks for all the help

I heard this noise before.... sorry to say and it wasn't my dsm it was my brothers...... and guess what it was the lifter. just 1 of them. and it sounded exactly like your video. do yourself a favor and take it apart before you damage anything else. hey man look at the bright side...... you own a dsm, and it could have been a bigger problem get me? good luck bro

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back