1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

What turbo do I have

Posted by Dsmdaniel18, Jun 12, 2018

Please Support Ace Race Parts
  1. Dsmdaniel18

Dsmdaniel18 Probationary Member

Joined Jun 12, 2018
    West Valley City, Utah
    I recently bought a 96 gst and I’m thinking about getting a new intercooler I’m just wondering what kind of turbo I have I saw on another post that the 96 has the t25 and I saw a intercooler that fits a TD05 I was wondering if they’re the same, if you see my post twice sorry I’m still new here took me a minute to find out how to post

My DSM:
  2. boostdawd

boostdawd Supporting Member

Joined Apr 6, 2010
    phoenix, Arizona
    If your turbo is stock then you have a t25. The intercooler your looking for will work but u may not need a j pipe.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Drag Race Build

GT35   manual
    1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

16g   manual
    Dstarperformance01 likes this.
  3. jinscho

jinscho Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2017
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    Turbo would be easier to identify with photos.

Also, what intercooler are you looking at? Links to the item would be helpful.

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T

Street Build

manual
  4. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Most have been modified so post a picture to make sure what turbo it is.

My DSM:
    1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

GT30   manual
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)

16g   manual
  5. Dsmdaniel18

Joined Jun 12, 2018
    West Valley City, Utah
    Thanks I was wondering if a TD05 is just another name for the T25 or if they’re two different sizes

My DSM:
  6. Dsmdaniel18

Joined Jun 12, 2018
    West Valley City, Utah
    My DSM:
  7. boostdawd

Joined Apr 6, 2010
    phoenix, Arizona
    The td05 is a 16g variant. Its on the 1990-1994 dsms and also on the 14bs.

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Drag Race Build

GT35   manual

Street Build

16g   manual
    Dstarperformance01 likes this.
  8. boostdawd

Joined Apr 6, 2010
    phoenix, Arizona
    Yea that one would work for u. U just wont need the j pipe if u have a t25 turbo as the fmc compressor housing points downward and to the passenger side. U may need to modify some of the piping to get it to work.

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Drag Race Build

GT35   manual

Street Build

16g   manual
  9. jinscho

jinscho Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2017
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    That kit will definitely work, and will be completely bolt on if you contact them and let them know you're using the stock turbo (even says so in the description). The standard kit they sell assumes you've already dumped the t25 for the 14b or 16g variants that most people swap to early on.

My DSM:

Street Build

manual
  10. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    No. They'e a different manufacturer even. T25 is a Garrett. Td06 is mitsubishi. They aren't the same.

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

T25   manual
  11. Dsmdaniel18

Joined Jun 12, 2018
    West Valley City, Utah
    Oh okay staying on the topic of turbos what would be a better swap a 14b or 16g or what are the pros/cons of each

My DSM:
  12. jinscho

jinscho Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2017
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    One could argue pros and cons of both. I'm currently working on a GS-T conversion on my Spyder and opted to go with an Evo III 16g mainly due to cost and availability for me, while at the same time opening up larger power limits further down the road. Both are far superior to the T25 as it tends to run out of breath at the top end, this is the kind of turbo modern auto manufacturers are throwing into economy class vehicles like the Chevy Cruze (small power boost around the 2500-3000 rpm range that quickly dies out, but helps with fuel economy).

If you're looking at diving down that path, I'd highly suggest looking over the 2G DSM upgrades thread here: https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/2g-dsm-upgrade-paths.486217/

But, do not skip over the most important part of that thread....

DgsfjcA.png

My DSM:

Street Build

manual
  13. Dsmdaniel18

Joined Jun 12, 2018
    West Valley City, Utah
    Okay last question, where could I get a pretty good either 14b or 16g all I’ve been seen so far that has them is ebay, also would I have to get a different manifold because I have the stock one on right now, or would that limit me from getting a aftermarket manifold down the road

My DSM:
  14. boostdawd

Joined Apr 6, 2010
    phoenix, Arizona
    Best place might be the classifieds or your local facebook listing. They are hard to find and nonexistent at this point. The ebay ones are hit or miss. They either work good or fail quick. Your manifold would work fine for either turbo as it will bolt up as stock.

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Drag Race Build

GT35   manual

Street Build

16g   manual
  15. brian9397gsx

brian9397gsx Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2008
    sioux city, Iowa
    Dont you have another post about this? Anyways t25 turbos are garret tdo5 turbos are Mitsubishi. So that being said there's a huge variety of tdo5 turbos because the tdo5 refers to the exhaust turbine. There's so many compressor wheels and covers. The most popular on our platform are 14b stock 1g turbos and 16g turbos that came on evo 1 through 3 and a few other mitsus that were over seas. Of those 2 the most popular covers have a pipe with 2 bolts bolted to the compressor housing for the lower intercooler pipe to attach. The stock t25 has the lower intercooler hose directly hose clamped to it.

Those are not the only 2 compressor wheels offered in the tdo5 housing there's been many different wheels that have been jammed into the 2 volt housing those are the most common styles.
    There's also a down firing compressor cover. Honestly do a Google search of the 2 or post pics rather than taking the easy way out. You do not sound very knowledgeable about these cars so you really need to do some research before worrying about a fmic. Especially with a t25 which is just a waste.

My DSM:
    brian9397gsx 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

19.80 @ 35.55 MPH
  16. jinscho

jinscho Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2017
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    Classifieds are a great place to start. @JusMX141 rebuilds turbos and just recently put a bunch up for sale.

If the classifieds don't play out, you can try a used parts vendor. Miller Import Parts always seems to have the random parts I need, if you don't see it on their website use the chat portion and send them an email. Steve Miller is typically very quick to respond.

Another vendor that I use regularly, and the one I actually bought my turbo from, is Performance Partout. Same as above, if it's not on their site, email or call them.

As for the exhaust manifold, these will both bolt right up to the stock cast-iron manifold. You may have to buy an install kit as the oil and coolant drain and feed lines may be different, but they're easy to find.

My DSM:

Street Build

manual