The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G What the heck have I got myself into?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxxbigirishxxx

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 25, 2010
Shenandoah, Virginia
OK, so I am now officially a DSM owner. I bought a 1G 92 Talon TSI AWD this evening in ROUGH shape as a project weekend warrior/race car. Did I mention it was in rough shape? The body is a 3/10 because the guy decided that he likes Eclipses better, so he tried to make it a GSX clone...not sure why. It's not running, need some work on the head. It's a fresh motor, .20 over Weisco pistons, Eagle rods, stock crank. Head is ported and polished, with brand new ferrea valves....that are bent. Apparently, he timed the engine 180 degrees out and cranked it. I only hope there is no damage to the pistons from this. Its got a brand new FP GREEN turbo, and new Thermal catback exhaust and 3" FMIC. It's got a Walpro 255 fuel pump, and stock injectors, Xboost controller, and SAFC. This weekend, I'm gonna tear the head off and start fixing. Couple of questions:

1. I know I'm needing new injectors, and I was thinking about 800ccish size. Input?

2. Thanks to the advice of a member of this site, I'm deffinately gonna replace the SAFC with DSMlink. I'm also gonna get a wideband and a few other essential gauges reccomended by your members. Anything else essential for Engine management?

3. I've done SOME searching, but admittedly not much. The breaks need some work, so I'm just gonna upgrade them. Anybody got any advice on a route for that?

First and foremost, I have read enough posts on here to KNOW everyone is big on maintenance, and rightly so. Before any other "mods", I am planning on making sure all other maintenance is up to date. One last thing. I'm going to attach a picture of the FMIC piping...this seems wrong to me, should I fix it?

Thanks in advance, and look forward to joining your community!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

OK, so I am now officially a DSM owner. I bought a 1G 92 Talon TSI AWD this evening in ROUGH shape as a project weekend warrior/race car. Did I mention it was in rough shape? The body is a 3/10 because the guy decided that he likes Eclipses better, so he tried to make it a GSX clone...not sure why. It's not running, need some work on the head. It's a fresh motor, .20 over Weisco pistons, Eagle rods, stock crank. Head is ported and polished, with brand new ferrea valves....that are bent. Apparently, he timed the engine 180 degrees out and cranked it. I only hope there is no damage to the pistons from this. Its got a brand new FP GREEN turbo, and new Thermal catback exhaust and 3" FMIC. It's got a Walpro 255 fuel pump, and stock injectors, Xboost controller, and SAFC. This weekend, I'm gonna tear the head off and start fixing. Couple of questions:

1. I know I'm needing new injectors, and I was thinking about 800ccish size. Input?

2. Thanks to the advice of a member of this site, I'm deffinately gonna replace the SAFC with DSMlink. I'm also gonna get a wideband and a few other essential gauges reccomended by your members. Anything else essential for Engine management?

3. I've done SOME searching, but admittedly not much. The breaks need some work, so I'm just gonna upgrade them. Anybody got any advice on a route for that?

First and foremost, I have read enough posts on here to KNOW everyone is big on maintenance, and rightly so. Before any other "mods", I am planning on making sure all other maintenance is up to date. One last thing. I'm going to attach a picture of the FMIC piping...this seems wrong to me, should I fix it?

Thanks in advance, and look forward to joining your community!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

1. Injector size just depends on how much power you want in the future, if you plan to go real big buy bigger injectors now since you will be able to tune for them with link.
2. Link and wideband are a good investment at the begining.
3. As far as brakes you already have ''big brakes'' so stick withem for now with quality pads and rotors.

Thanks very much for the input. Does anyone have an opinion on the intercooler piping? Should it be changed so that it doesn't run in front of the intercooler?

Did you also notice that when he cranks it, it builds no oil pressure? I went and looked at that car, good luck man. If you're not pretty up to par on these cars, you may have bitten off more than you can chew.

No, I didn't have hime crank the car, the valve cover was off and the valves had been bent already. It wouldn't suprise me, though. I'll deffinately check into that. I was able to pick the car up cheap-for much less than he was asking for it, and If I run into issues, I'll have lots of parts for sale! Thanks for the heads up.

If you dont mind me asking, could you pm me with what he sold it to you for? He gave me a crazy ass price.

for brakes i would go with ebc green pads i have them on my 2g stops hard compaired to the cheapo pads that were on it.

i would sell off the body kit and get oem bumpers.

as far as your piping thats correct it appears to be one of the cheap ebay fmic with the long route piping .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back