The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

What the heck did I blow?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboFever

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 1, 2005
Paterson, New_Jersey
Ok so I was changing the battery in my car. But put one of the negative cables on the positive, when i get the booster cables and clamp them on and clamp the other end to another battery i start seeing smoke coming from the battery, and from somewhere all the way in the back of the enging compartment. Now that I installed the battery correctly nothing works, no horn, lights nothing. I cant even jump it, what the heck did I do?!

eclipsegsx1736 said:
So you hooked the battery up backwards? You might find this useful:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210486

Thanks for the reply but the alternator fuse isnt blown i just checked it. Also, in that link the guys car still started, mine is completely dead. Wont crank, start, no power. I scared I fried the starter or something related to it.

I know in many cars the ECU can be damaged permanently if the car is jumped or hooked up backwards, hopefully that is not the case.

I hope the ECU isnt blown either, could it be the Starter?
Let me clarify what I did and what happened because I was a bit anxious before. I connected one of the ground wires to the positive on the battery, I then proceeded to jump the dead battery. Smoke was coming out from the back on the engine compartment, in the center, I am almost positive I blew something. What is back there the starter?

I checked all my fuses no fuses are blown. Is there anyway to check if I fried the wire, or if I fried somethign that controls the electrical circuits?

The starter is back there kinda, its almost directly under the intake manifold.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back