The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

What starts to break when you get to 400whp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMTyson

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 9, 2010
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Alright well, I'm about to install my TD05H 20G. I'm tuning for 350whp on pump and 400whp on race gas or with meth injection(when I get it).

What drivetrain parts start to break when you get to the 400whp range? I have a built auto, so the tranny is not an issue.

In other words...

What should I upgrade, drivetrain-wise, so that I dont break shit? LOL

And, are there any other non-drivetrain related parts that I should also upgrade?

Thanks
-Tyson

Your wallet.
Your sanity.
Your center differential.

Well I making around 370ish right now and I have a stock trans act2100 clutch with street disc i also have a stock 3 bolt. I have to slip the shit of it when I launch

With an auto and a 4-bolt, you'll be fine as long as everything is healthy and in good condition. Oh, and don't let it wheelhop or you'll scatter the stock Tcase.

MrPeepers has 449 hp on the stock 3 bolt rear and hasn't broken it YET..The auto shouldn't be an issue. There is at least one guy on tuners I've seen run high 10's on a stock auto tranny recently..

My one suggestion would be to get the RoadSurge.com Roadsurge auto shift box..It allows you to shift manually with the press of a button, and you can also turn it off for everyday driving..

It's torque, not HP that kills parts.

With the auto, you have a lot less to worry about.

Really, just drive it until you break something, that's the most fun!

Shouldnt break much at that level with an auto. Run it until you break something and go from there. Don't waste your money and have fun. Then spend that saved money on better upgrades.

Not really thread jacking unless I start a new thread about the same thing..

There's talk here about being ok on a auto tranny, we'll what about a stage 2 tranny with 4-spider diff? Ill be throwing a GT30 on. I still have the 3-bolt in the rear but looking to replace it sometime down the road.. Will the stock t-case be okay?

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk

MrPeepers has 449 hp on the stock 3 bolt rear and hasn't broken it YET..The auto shouldn't be an issue. There is at least one guy on tuners I've seen run high 10's on a stock auto tranny recently..

MrPeepers is actually up to 494whp and 471 torque now. Still on the stock 3 bolt. OP I really dont think you have much to worry about!

I didn't see the auto part, my mistake.
In that case - just your wallet.

Maybe it would be good to say if you have a 4 bolt rear end or not. Did your transfer case get a upgrade as well?

I'm on the stock 3 bolt. And no, the transfer case is stock.

With an auto and a 4-bolt, you'll be fine as long as everything is healthy and in good condition. Oh, and don't let it wheelhop or you'll scatter the stock Tcase.

Good to know. I have a welded center diff btw.

Shouldnt break much at that level with an auto. Run it until you break something and go from there. Don't waste your money and have fun. Then spend that saved money on better upgrades.

Sounds good to me! :)

My one suggestion would be to get the RoadSurge.com Roadsurge auto shift box..It allows you to shift manually with the press of a button, and you can also turn it off for everyday driving..

I've been looking at the road surge box for a while. But I have an EPROM TCU, so after I get my shift points programmed onto it i'll have no use for the roadsurge box. Though, it would be handy to have.. I might get it just for the hell of it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back