The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

What does a slipping A/T feel like?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96boosted

Probationary Member
Apr 5, 2003
--_United_States
I posted on dsmtalk as well, but since different people go on different boards, I thought I'd try my luck here too. I already tried searching, but I didn't find a thread that answered my questions. 1. What does a slipping A/T feel like? 2. And if a tranny is slipping, does it slip all the time or once in a while and it gets worse until it won't move anymore?

I just upgraded from stock turbo to a Big28, (more power now) and I was doing some light to light tuning just now. I would floor it when the light turns green with a logger. It feels fine before the turbo spools, but as soon as it spools (around 3k), the rpm shoots up to about 5k, but the car isn't moving much fasters. I can feel the initial jolt but not much power after that. I got scared and backed off. I tried a couple times more, once from a stop again, it did the same thing, another from a roll in 2nd and it downshifted, I feel the jolt, then the car doesn't move very fast.

Ideas?

-'96 GSX

Slipping is defined as the clutches in an automatic transmission not holding fully. In other words, more power is going into the trans than is coming out of it.

It is possible for a trans to slip only sometimes or only in a particular gear.

Slipping is often, but not always, accompanied by a burnt odor in the trans fluid.

Keep in mind that if your engine is running lean (or if you have some other engine performance issue), the sensation may be similar to that of a trans slipping.

Have the engine performance aspects checked out first, but you may be in need of transmission repair.

-John

Thanks for the reply John. Turns out it was running too rich. I have the MAFT v2.0 and it has issues. (too lean) I had the base on way rich for my injector. (only way to get a good trim) and that puts the WOT setting 15% too rich! It's all good now. Looks like my tranny's fine after all.

-96boosted

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back