The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

What do I do with the stock water lines that go to the oil cooler?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse 1998

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2010
,, Indiana
Okay so I'm trying to install a B&M oil cooler but I'm not sure on what to do with the stock water lines, I don't want to loop them but would rather delete them completely. How would I do this? Also would I still need the water lines going to the turbo as well or could I delete them too? I plan on just having the Oil filter to OFH and do away with the stock oil cooler, I know I will have to cut the Oil filter stud as well.

usually 2g guys use the evo 3 style oil filter housing :see image in link below
http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/parts/oem_evo3_oil_filter_housing.htmso

But to save some money you can also just trim the excess off the oil filter housing... which is what you already had planed to do.

as for the water lines, you have three options.
option 1:could get a 1994-1997 mitsubishi Galant/Eagle summit/mitsubishi expo mini van 4 cylinder 2.4 4G64 front water pipe, that has no provisions for the oil cooler.
option 2: take the front water pipe off your car, and have all the unnecessary hose barbs trimmed off, and then have the holes welded shut at a shop that can weld aluminum.
option 3: well you already said you don't want to do option three... which is loop the lines with heater hose LOL.
hope this helps.

Yea I already have the EVO OFH, well in that case if I did loop the lines from the stock oil cooler together and cap off the oil cooler nipples, I still need to keep the turbo water lines connected right ?

Imo cooling with water mitigates the heat soak better than just oil cooling. I found out how easy it was to boil oil with my b16g, and I had both lines to turbo.

Exactly correct. Although the oil is cooled down some, generally it's purpose is not to cool down the turbo, it is to lubricate the bearings.

The coolant lines however go through the correct passages to cool down the turbo like it is meant to. That being said people have been known to disconnect them and be fine, but you have to make certain precautions.

not sure about MHI chra's but others perform just fine n dandy with no water cooling at all. Now that doesnt mean do a 30psi pull right in to your driveway and shut it off, you let non-water cooled turbos idle down for 2 minutes roughly. Honestly unless you drive like a mad right up to your house you dont even need to idle it for any longer. Usually the cruising/off boost/stop n go driving you do on your way back(if you live in a town) is enough to cool the oil down thus cooling the turbo down enough. Especially since your running an aftermarket oil cooler.

I need to check your mods list to see what turbo you're running i guess but even with mhi turbos people have blocked off the water lines. Been done plenty. PTE (say what you will about their QA) doesnt have water cooling provisions on a lot of their turbos. There are others as well that do not.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back