The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

What cams kelford 272, or fp4r

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fastlaser

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 25, 2003
glendora, New_Jersey
Well selling my fp2s to a local who definatly needs cams for his setup, trying to help someone out. Figured I would check out what is out there. After doing some research its hard to find a good answer.

Setups a 2.4, gt4294 with all suporting mods.

Cams, looking at the kelford 272s, or the fp4r. They seem comparable.

My head is basic bs, manley springs, retainers.

Let me know what you guys are thinking. Keep in mind this is a street car.

I would think an FP3x cam would be even better suited for a stroker than either of those. Didn't they come out with an FP4x as well?

But just between those 2 cams the 272s out performed the fp4s ever so slightly but in retrospect both cams were VERY close. The 272s came on sooner but they both evened out the rest of the way. Its a hard choice. Given the price I'd so go FP4s, other than that FP3xs would be my bet.

Flip a coin both are great cams

Last edited:
Car made ok power so far, 621 on 30psi on straight pump gas with very low timing on fp2s. I had a exhaust leak, and some vacuum line problems which are now fixed, and have made a night a day difference with the car, so im sure theres more stank in it now

I pushing the car as far as I can on straight 93 pump with no meth. I know theres alot left in it. I figured alittle jump to fp4rs since i read some guys hitting full boost on a 70mm turbos and so around 4800 on a 2.3. I hit 30psi by 5500 now. Not worried about the spool up differences to much, more about maybe picking up alittle power.

I like to hear peoples opinions, and maybe some knowlege can be learned in the same sense.

I would think an FP3x cam would be even better suited for a stroker than either of those. Didn't they come out with an FP4x as well?

But just between those 2 cams the 272s out performed the fp4s ever so slightly but in retrospect both cams were VERY close. The 272s came on sooner but they both evened out the rest of the way. Its a hard choice. Given the price I'd so go FP4s, other than that FP3xs would be my bet.

From my understanding the 2x on have been discontinued.

I wouldnt use neither. But im sure you would benefit from another cam with more duration and higher lift for sure, specially considering the extra displacement and higher powerband.

Car made ok power so far, 621 on 30psi on straight pump gas with very low timing on fp2s. I had a exhaust leak, and some vacuum line problems which are now fixed, and have made a night a day difference with the car, so im sure theres more stank in it now

I pushing the car as far as I can on straight 93 pump with no meth. I know theres alot left in it. I figured alittle jump to fp4rs since i read some guys hitting full boost on a 70mm turbos and so around 4800 on a 2.3. I hit 30psi by 5500 now. Not worried about the spool up differences to much, more about maybe picking up alittle power.

I like to hear peoples opinions, and maybe some knowlege can be learned in the same sense.

From my understanding the 2x on have been discontinued.

You can buy them from other members all day long. Hell even I have a set I am changing from because I am no longer building a long rod motor.

The number have been confusing, I have seen some where the BC280s had a big pickup on the others but even that hasn't been backed up. Dunno, as mentioned before, its a coin toss. FP wins by being cheaper however.

You can buy them from other members all day long. Hell even I have a set I am changing from because I am no longer building a long rod motor.

The number have been confusing, I have seen some where the BC280s had a big pickup on the others but even that hasn't been backed up. Dunno, as mentioned before, its a coin toss. FP wins by being cheaper however.

Yeah definatly seen alot for sale. Originally I was gonna go the fp2x or fp3 route. Honestly I have had no reason to change these out, but helping out a friend is giving me a reason.

Another buddy of mine made 691@36psi on fp2s with link, 2.3, s362net...and he just went to a set of fp3's.

I would look into the Kelford 272's, or their 280 grind which is a 280 intake, and 276 exhaust.

The 272's have much more impressive ramp rate, but that leads to valve float at higher rpm's. Their 280 grinds have a lower lift, with a longer duration, so they would be much better suited for higher rpms. Being a stroke, I don't know how high you were looking to rev, but Jake (Prostreet) revved his stroker to 9400 or something like that everytime he ran it..

seems the 101400 comps are right below the fp4rs according to the cam spec sheet

COMP Cams - Cam Details

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/00000001/data/101FP4R Spec Rev A.pdf

The 101200 and 101300 have almost identical specs. Which is weird to me.

COMP Cams - Cam Details

COMP Cams - Cam Details

Im no cam expert, trying to learn alittle more about this department though. I could care less how much it cams, and how cool it sounds LOL. Im looking for gains. The 101400s acually look like a great canidate.

Delta Cams will be making a set of Kelford 272's shortly that they will make on blank cores so they will share the same profile of the Kelfords, but at about half the price. Both cams you are looking into are great, so you will be happy with either set of cams.

i had a similar question, i have a similar build (except is a 2.0L) and i ended up going with the kelford 272s.

So many choices out there now adays.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back