The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

what are ALL the differences from the 4g63 to 4g63t

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeti-gvr4

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 23, 2010
san diego, California
So just tryin to figure out what all needs to be replaced to be able to become a 4g63t

So far I know

1.pistons,rods
2.no knock sensor or spot for one (so does that mean you have to drill the block and make a new spot)
3.oil squirters
4.injectors

Can anyone else tell me all the other sensors and parts that would need to be changed.
Or if its even worth the block..

Reasoning I ask is because there's 20- 4g63 blocks at the jy and no 4g63t blocks

1. the connecting rods are as strong but because it doesnt have oil squirters in the block, it goes through the rod.
2. pistons are a 9:1 comp ratio, so is higher for N/A reasons.
3. should have a spot for a knock sensor, but doesnt come with one.
4. has smaller injectors as well, not sure what cc they are.
5. The oil feed line for the turbo has a threaded cap in its place.
6. N/A has a different intake manifold, because it has one less vacuum feed line for the BOV; and a different exhaust mani.
hope this helps!

Rods are the same. Doesnt have an oil cooler. You dont need oil squirters. There is two locations that you can put the knock sensor, but its not the same spot as turbo motor. Injectors are 240cc as perviously listed.

Is the head the same as the 4g63t? This has me intrigued . :hmm:

Did you read the Tech Article I link? I'm serious, that has the answers to all these questions. If there is something that it is missing, let me know and I will add it.

The N/T head is the same with the exception of the intake camshaft. Here is a breakdown on the 1g 4G63 camshafts:

Based on what I can tell from the service manual the 1G 2.0L cams differ as follows: (specifications pages, timing is in one place, lobe height in another)

Intake NT opens 26 BTDC close 46 ABDC lobe height 35.493 (34.993 limit)
Intake MT opens 21 BTDC close 51 ABDC lobe height 35.493 (34.993 limit)
Intake AT opens 21 BTDC close 51 ABDC lobe height 35.200 (34.700 limit)

Exhaust NT opens 55 BBDC close ATDC 9 lobe height 35.200 (34.700 limit)
Exhaust AT opens 55 BBDC close ATDC 9 lobe height 35.200 (34.700 limit)
Exhaust MT opens 55 BBDC close ATDC 9 lobe height 35.493 (34.993 limit)

From this I come up with the NT intake cam being 252 duration, the turbo intake at 257 and a duration of 244 for the exhaust. NT has 35 degrees overlap (26BTDC + 9ATDC) and turbos have 30 (21+9). These are seat timings. From the point where the valve first starts to move.

All good answers and info here. I've converted a lot of non turbo's to turbo. I know it's in the thread that's linked, but for future "quick searches"..

Intake cam is different (exhaust is almost identical all years from 91 to 94 (for 4g63 turbo and non turbo engines)
Turbo mas sensor has a 7th wire (obviously it's a dif. sensor then the non turbo)
No boost control solenoid in the non turbo car's (not need anyway)
Intake and exhaust manifolds are different
Pistons are different
turbo cars use a 225mm clutch disc, non turbo's are only 210mm disc. (flywheels are the same)
No knock sensor on non turbo cars
Injectors (like mentioned) non turbo (pink 240cc), turbo auto (forget color 390cc) turbo (blue 1g / black 2g 450cc)
Fuel pressure regulators are different (~37 psi 1g turbo 5speed, ALL THESE -> 1g non turbo, 1g turbo AUTOMATIC TRANS, and 2g turbo are ~43psi)
ECU's have the knock board in them (turbo ecu's do, non turbo ECU's don't have the knock board, The board is needed to pull timing when the knock sensor see's detenation)
There is no injector resistor pack in non turbo 1g's (not sure about the 2g's)
There's more, but you get the idea.

turbo cars use a 225mm clutch disc, non turbo's are only 210mm disc. (flywheels are the same)

Non-turbo clutch disc is 215mm and flywheels are not the same. There is a difference between turbo and non-turbo and between FWD and AWD flywheels.

Also, for the record, some (and I believe they were early model) non-turbos came with black top 240cc injectors.

Non-turbo clutch disc is 215mm and flywheels are not the same. There is a difference between turbo and non-turbo

I stand corrected, the 210mm non turbo clutch disc was a typo on my part. The flywheels I did not know where different. I never noticed (or measured) any difference, what are you saying is different? I've bolted turbo clutch pressure plates and disc's (ACT street disc, XDT, Mitsu, and auto parts store turbo OEM replacement disc's and PP's) right onto non turbo flywheels (after machining) with no issue's..

The non-turbo flywheels I'm familiar with are non-stepped compared to the stepped turbo flywheels. Here's a pic of a non-turbo flywheel. Note there is little to no height difference between the friction surface and where the pressure plate mounts:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That particular non-turbo flywheel had 106 teeth (and CAPS lists all 1G non-turbo 4G63s as using the same ring gear) like an AWD flywheel (same ring gear as the non-turbo), whereas the turbo FWD flywheels have 110 teeth (same ring gear on all FWD turbo 4G63 flywheels). Since all of these 4G63s basically use the same starter (save some automatics, according to CAPS), the starter's pinion gear must be the same, meaning the diametral pitch of the flywheel ring gear must also be the same. This, combined with the number of teeth on each flywheel, one can deduce the non-turbo flywheel is smaller in diameter than the turbo FWD flywheel. But here's a picture of a turbo FWD flywheel trying to fit in a non-turbo transmission -- it doesn't:

For giggles, the non-turbo flywheel and AWD flywheel are approximately 10.75" in diameter, including the ring gear. The FWD turbo flywheel is approximately 11". This all goes to say that if you tried using a non-turbo flywheel as above in a turbo transmission, the starter would either hardly engage or fail to engage the flywheel.

Here's a picture of a non-turbo pressure plate on a turbo flywheel; if it were installed as such, it would never function:

I'm curious what sort of non-turbo flywheels you deal or how exactly you machine them?

Thank you all for replys
I didn't know there was that much.

I think I'm gonna buy a 91 gst that's still running (with a 6bolt)for 500$

Dis-reguard my comment about the flywheels being the same. I'm so used to just using the turbo flywheels I have on hand, that I completely forgot about the differences. Sorry for the mis-information on my part.

No worries for misinformation I. Check everything I do at least from 5 diffrent opinions.

So I bought the gst and there's some oil in the coolant and vice versa so the previous owner from a few times ago tells me the block was cracked it why he sold it.

How the hell is this thing still running with a cracked block.

Couldb I still run the motor just do frequent oil changes? Like every 500 or 1000 miles? or everytime you drive it haha

Anyways I'm buying a block for 130 shipped.
4g63t
Says it needs boring cause of a spark plug melted on to cylinder wall

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back