The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Weird No Start Condition

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmain

Probationary Member
Feb 18, 2015
Bay Village, Ohio
I've searched top and bottom for an answer to this one. I'll try and keep my explanation brief and to the point...

The current problem: When I got this car a few months ago, the clutch pedal assembly was all wonky. I discovered that the clutch safety switch was hitting the pedal incorrectly (wasn't even making contact). PO apparently at someone look at it, who apparently tried to get he pedal assembly out to get to the switch, but found out what a PITA of a job that is and gave up half way through. Instead he opted to bypass the switch entirely and ran a cable directly from the ignition switch, to the starter solenoid (poked it through steering rack boot in the firewall). I finally got around to fixing this whole mess, but I have a no start. Safety switch operates properly, starter fires, and motor cranks. Could removing that bypass have changed anything with the ignition system? There seems to be much debate on weather or not 2g dsm's have an ASD relay. It would be nice if that were the only problem, but I can't find one on my car. I also am having trouble finding an ignition system wiring diagram for my car... the one in my Haynes shows that there is an ASD, so I'm thinking the diagram is for a different car.

Perhaps unrelated: I just replaced the clutch in my '97 FWD Eclipse. The old flywheel was in really bad shape, so I went with a lightweight option (competition clutch 7 bolt flywheel). My first reaction to the car not starting was that the starter wasn't grabbing the flywheel... and maybe RRE had sent me an AWD flywheel (eek!) But during installation, I matched up the old and new to be sure I didn't encounter this problem. They seemed to be identical. is there a significant difference in diameter between AWD and FWD flywheels?

Side note: Something else worth noting is that the solenoid in the starter is not retracting after running the starter (I can see through inspection plate on bell housing that the gear stays in the out position, meshed with the flywheel teeth). At first I thought the starter went bad (coincidentally at the same time I did all this work) so I dropped in a new one... and the same thing is happening. I can get it to pop back in if I rotate the crank by hand just a slight bit. However, after running starter, the crank seems to actually get stuck, like it is seized (excessively stiff. i.e. not the hump to get past compression stroke). Once I get it past that seized point, it seems to rotate normally. Is the starter staying out simply because the engine is turning over? or could it actually be hitting the flywheel incorrectly? the flywheel couldn't be too big... FWD is the larger of the two, right?

I guess I am bad at keeping it brief. Hope I was clear enough tho. thanks for reading through.

AWD flywheel is 106 teeth, FWD is 110. It is enough to make the starter miss or grind if using a FWD tranny/starter plate and an AWD flywheel. and Have you checked all connections? There are connections at the water-neck that if disconnected, can give you a no start. As you stated you replaced the clutch, you may have accidentally disconnected something needed for it to start.

I did see some things about water temp sensors as was concluded here http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/very-unusual-no-start-condition.401320/
I see two connectors at thermostat housing: the temp sending unit, and something else on the back side that has two wires on it. sending unit is seeing 9.3 v with ignition on.

Update: Primary Resistance on coil pack is 1.2 ohms. Seems kinda high? Secondary Resistance is 13.51 k.Ohms between 1 and 4, and 13.23 k.ohms between 2 and 3. Plugs are wet with fuel... not drenched, but wet, which is sorta expected. any chance it is just flooded? do fuel injected cars flood? hah

Edit: yes starter spacer plate is on. never took it off...
Edit2: just did some counting; the new flywheel has 110 teeth. phew.... i think

Last edited:
Update: car is getting spark (pulled a plug and grounded it and then turned it over).
With ignition on, injectors have 12v and open ground. when cranking, ground remains open. Not sure if I am testing these right... are the injectors not getting signal?

no on link, unfortunately. I jumped fuel pump, and it runs. it also gets voltage when starter is cranking. I haven't been able to confirmed fuel pressure or if injectors are firing. Any down and dirty tests for that? stock regulator and injectors.

Solved: I went to the dealer. They said I had the battery out too long and the ECU got wiped. They had to re-flash it. $187 bucks thrown away. Wish I coulda got some more help here, it would have been worth it to get ECM link rather than blow my hard earned money just for the dealer to muck up every thing else they put their hands on. Now I got a busted CAS, hooray.

2 weeks. I'm not sure they diagnosed it properly. but they were able to get it running, so they figured something out. My service ticket actually said the PCM (powertrain control module?) is what was messed up. i think thats the same thing tho... right?

it seems my clutch switch just started intermittently not working (car won't turn over). I know it is activated when I depress the clutch all the way to the floor, but where is it actually located and is it possible to just disconnect it somewhere?

Thanks for the link, I found the right connector, disconnected it, and now it cranks fine.

I did make a mistake the first time I tried and disconnected the Cruise Control Safety, which would then not let me crank it at all.

I then saw the white switch on the firewall that is depressed when the clutch pedal is all the way to the floor - Clutch Interlock Switch per the Factory Manual, and that's the one that did the trick.

Just unplug it. It's the connector with the black and green/black wires above the clutch pedal:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back