The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Weird Clunking Type Sound

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throwing this out there
Have you checked the harmonic balancer/dampeners integrity ?

It would suck If it was anything to do with your transmission or say timing components

Can u capture the sound on camera?

I was getting weird noises too, I just greased my tie rods and burped my PS system with ATF. Not sure if I was getting the same noise as you but I was getting it on hard turns at low speed.
This is at low and high speeds. As long as I've got some lateral G's going on it does it and is worse at high RPM. I suppose I can disconnect the PS system and see what happens. I feel it may be trans related so I'll have a shop take a look when I drop it for the TOB and ball and whatnot.
Throwing this out there
Have you checked the harmonic balancer/dampeners integrity ?

It would suck If it was anything to do with your transmission or say timing components

Can u capture the sound on camera?
No idea the integrity of the balancer. I just did a T-belt job, belt stripped at idle bent all exhaust valves. I sure can try to capture it.

Balancer looks to be in decent shape. The sound is definitely RPM related. At lower RPMs its a rotary clunk and at higher RPMs it sounds almost more like a grinding. You can feel it through the car. Car will never make the sound with the engine off coasting around a left turn. If I barely turn the wheel left at higher RPMs say to change lanes I can hear it faintly start to happen and can feel it as well. It gets worse the harder the left turn and the higher the RPM. If I'm coasting around a left turn at idle and bring the revs up to 4-5k the noise will happen. This is driving me absolutely insane.

I have and the crank didn't have any visible play when I was in there but I didn't think to measure it for some reason. The clutch stays the same firmness no matter how I corner and which direction. I also have a squeaking TOB that stops with the lightest touch of the clutch pedal and you can still hear it screeching away while turning in both directions. (yes i'm replacing it). This has had me stumped for some time now.

If I barely turn the wheel left at higher RPMs say to change lanes I can hear it faintly start to happen and can feel it as well. It gets worse the harder the left turn and the higher the RPM.
If by RPMs you really mean speed, it's probably the other wheel bearing (since you say you've replaced one). I had that very thing happen to me. When it happens and you lightly apply brakes does the sound diminish?
If I'm coasting around a left turn at idle and bring the revs up to 4-5k the noise will happen.
When doing this what is the state of the clutch (engaged or not) and tranny (in gear or neutral)?

If by RPMs you really mean speed, it's probably the other wheel bearing (since you say you've replaced one). I had that very thing happen to me. When it happens and you lightly apply brakes does the sound diminish?

When doing this what is the state of the clutch (engaged or not) and tranny (in gear or neutral)?
No, I mean RPMs. I think maybe it was a coincidence that it went away when I replaced it. Its the wrong kind of sound. Like I said if I'm coasting around a corner in neutral and bring the revs up it'll doi it louder and sound almost more like a grind at that point. Same goes if i'm in 4th in the corner and downshift to 2nd.

Doesn't matter engaged or not doesnt matter what gear or neutral.

The only other difference I can think of is that since the car was on jackstands when I put the motor mounts all back in they were very very tight maybe since they've settled I'm getting the noise. But its definitely a rotary sound its very consistent.

Just throwing it out there (probably not your problem, on a 2g also), but I had a similar issue where if I would take sharp turns at decent speeds (parking lot speeds to 20ish mph) and put some g-forces into the car, it would make a clunking/grinding type noise. Put it up on a lift and noticed the upper control arm ball joint lip was making slight contact with the strut tower. Took a grinder to the edge and now no noise whatsoever.

Just throwing it out there (probably not your problem, on a 2g also), but I had a similar issue where if I would take sharp turns at decent speeds (parking lot speeds to 20ish mph) and put some g-forces into the car, it would make a clunking/grinding type noise. Put it up on a lift and noticed the upper control arm ball joint lip was making slight contact with the strut tower. Took a grinder to the edge and now no noise whatsoever.
Thanks but it is totally 100% RPM related

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back