1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Weird clunking sound from rear diff?

Posted by Cheezit033094, Sep 2, 2013

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. Cheezit033094

Cheezit033094 Proven Member

Joined Feb 25, 2013
    O'Fallon, Missouri
    Hey guys, my talon is giving me some trouble. When I'm going and hit about 3k rpms and engine brake, i get this sound that sounds as if you were saying "grom grom grom grom" in a gnarled type voice. (sorry I can't really explain the sound any better). It gets slightly better when I hit the brakes (probably because of the lowered rpms), hit the gas (doesn't clunk when i hit the gas either), or i push in the clutch. The only other sounds I get out of the rear differential is when I put her into reverse and go appx 3 feet at which point I get 2 loud clunking/clicking sounds. I do have solid rear diff bushings and just jacked her up and checked the play in the diff and she twists less than half an inch and no parts are broken or damaged. Also on an unrelated note, when i have my ac on and push in the clutch, she will immediately die, and my afr in idle bounces continuously from 14.5 to 15.2 on an AEM Uego wideband. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

489  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  2. 1badpurple

1badpurple Proven Member

Joined Jul 15, 2010
    lillian, Alabama
    I would start by checking the carrier bearings. They are known to make a thumping noise when going bad.