The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

water & meth injection results

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If the water injection fails and you tuned for it aggressively then you will run lean (possibly dangerously so) Installed well it is just as reliable as any other mod you do. For example if your fuel pump failed you'd have catastrophic failure too.

thats a good point, but how could you install wrong, or less reliably, isn't there only one way to install.
What ways could you install it wrong?

Most people would worry about pump failure, or running their tank empty or having a nozzle clog or a water line kinked so there is less flow or if their injector stuck open causing "hydrolock" (which is unlikely)

Those are the concerns people have.

exiletalon said:
I hear that these systems are iffy, and can get dangerous real quick, any insight on this?

There no different then any other mod. Anything can stop working. I'll know as soon as mine stops, because I have the proper tuning software. My check engine light is set to flicker @ 1deg knock.

As mentioned above, its no different then a fuel pump, chances of it failing are very rare. And as far as hydrolocking goes.... it takes ALOT of water to cause something like that.

6GAL tank isnt overkill, trust me.. Ive filled up my 3qt 2 times already in the last 2 days.
Nothings overkill :cool:

Nice pic of the log mastadogg. LOL i knew what every line was. I have the enginerunup kit and its amazing as well. The 2g's came with a 1gallon tank and it last me a while as well. As of now my setup requires a M7 nozzle. But i have 2 nozzles spraying equaling to a M8. Am going to go to a M10 setup soon. I never bothered with the windshield washer stuff. Right now am using Heet the yellow bottle which contains 99% methanol and distilled water. The car loves a mix of 75%meth/25% water so am leaving it there. Already ran 30psi on pump gas:D

RavenX said:
Nice pic of the log mastadogg. LOL i knew what every line was. I have the enginerunup kit and its amazing as well. The 2g's came with a 1gallon tank and it last me a while as well. As of now my setup requires a M7 nozzle. But i have 2 nozzles spraying equaling to a M8. Am going to go to a M10 setup soon. I never bothered with the windshield washer stuff. Right now am using Heet the yellow bottle which contains 99% methanol and distilled water. The car loves a mix of 75%meth/25% water so am leaving it there. Already ran 30psi on pump gas:D

Damn your spraying alot!. how much is this Heet stuff your talking about? im interested. Ive ran 25psi so far on 92octane LOL.. but im still on stock head studs, so i keep it down to 21 most the time, which is still pushing it :)

elfroggo said:
For example if your fuel pump failed you'd have catastrophic failure too.
You may hurt something, but I would bet the motor would just die first.

I also agree that this is one of the best mods ive ever done.Without the spray I could only run about 18psi on 91 pump with my e316g.With the spray on I have run up to 26psi.I am using 50%methanol 50% distilled water.Another good thing about it is it steam cleans you engine.I am in the middle of a turbo upgrade right now,when I took the 16g off you should have seen how clean the turbine housing inlet was.I will post a pic of the exhaust manifold inlet its amazing.:thumb:

Heat is awesome! It's good stuff... The cheapest place I've found it is Walmart for $.99. It's a fuel additive. It's in the automotive section. don't get anything but the yellow bottle.

Yup that is correct scott. The cheapest place is Walmart. Advance sells it for $1.02 i believe but the one down the street from my house is also .99 cents. I pretty much take their entire box of yellow heet shipments when they get them. That comes with 24 bottles. It takes 6-7 bottles to do 75% which isn't bad at all. Heet also comes in a red bottle too which is isophyrll alcohol but you don't want that.

So what is the difference between using that heet stuff and using actual methanol.I have been going to a place by my house that sells it and it seems like it would be cheaper than buying 25 bottles of that heet.The methanol i have been buying is like 4 bucks a gallon or something.

fwdeclipse said:
So what is the difference between using that heet stuff and using actual methanol.I have been going to a place by my house that sells it and it seems like it would be cheaper than buying 25 bottles of that heet.The methanol i have been buying is like 4 bucks a gallon or something.

There is no difference aside from the fact that its easily accesible at any store provided that you can't source methanol from a shop. In my case the only shop in my area that sells methanol by the gallons is in Orlando and that is an hour away for me. I'd rather just spend the extra money for Heet than drive an hour to get methanol.

RavenX said:
There is no difference aside from the fact that its easily accesible at any store provided that you can't source methanol from a shop. In my case the only shop in my area that sells methanol by the gallons is in Orlando and that is an hour away for me. I'd rather just spend the extra money for Heet than drive an hour to get methanol.

Oh ok that makes sense.In that case I would do the exact same thing.:thumb:

mastadogg2 said:
1degree = 5-7counts, etc..

1 degree equals roughly 3 counts of knock.

I've been running meth/water injection for a couple months now. So far nothing but good results. These days im runnin a 50/50 mix though i have experimented with everything from 100% water - 100% meth. I find that somewhere between 50/50 to 75meth/25water works best for me.

I also use yellow HEET, not heat, for my meth. It's about 99% pure methanol if im not mistaken. I can't think of what the other 1% is off hand. But it's gasline antifreeze. So it's already meant to go into the combustion chamber which is why i don't worry about it too much.

I have been considering try denatured alcohol. It's my understand that the octane level is alittle lower than methanol, and the cooling properties are slightly less than water. The thing is there would be more of it than my 50/50 mix. So it's all cooling the charge, combustion chamber and it's all giving me the octane boost. Anybody tried both before?

I'm not sure what my IC pipes are made from but i've seen nothing in there. The intake manifold doesn't seem to have any marks, im not sure what etching means. It looks clean and smooth (as smooth as stock is) inside. But i haven't had it off that's just what i can see through the throttle body.

mastadogg2 said:
6GAL tank isnt overkill, trust me.. Ive filled up my 3qt 2 times already in the last 2 days
6 gals ~ 50lbs. If you do go that route, make sure the tank has a baffle or sump to keep the pickup covered under hard acceleration.

Buddy of mine ran a 1gal tank in tandem with his stock WW resivoir so could keep the "sump" and low fluid indicator of the stock WW tank :dsm:

Good god some of you go through alot of meth. I got the regular old 2qt. tank. I fill it up an average of every 2-3 weeks. If your not beating on it evertime you get in the car a tank should last you awhile. Also what you set the boost switch to will have some effect on how long a tank lasts. Mine set at 16psi. Just for reference i open it up through 2-3 about everyday.

DSM90AWD you won't see any problems with the meth, and aluminum parts if injecting just before the TB, myself, and Donmagicjuan have made the consensious that the meth is vaporized before it causes any damage to aluminum pieces such as out head. If it were sitting for a little while then that would be another story.

Dustin

Cool. I just got my Engine Runup150psi kit installed and will soon have some results myself with three different flavors of Wal-Mart WW fluid :)

BTW, doing the math, my OEM 3qt WW reservoir should last 9.4 minutes (563 secs) of spraying my M4 injectors (4.8gph @ 150psi).

As I don't intend to activate them until ~17psi (75% of total 23psi), I figure should last some time :dsm:

I was also kind of wondering about the corrosion that meth can do to aluminum over time. maybe it's like a slow extrude hone of the intake manifold LOL. But in the quantity and concentration used it probably doesn't show effects if at all.

I think it's mainly a problem of using methanol as a fuel where it sits in your fuel rail and lines where corrosion is present.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back