The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

viscous coupler welding?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swifteagle

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 18, 2012
livingston, Texas
Anyone know if you can just weld the up the back of the viscous to make a vce for dyno use? Or do you have to turn it down and then weld it.

I have a extra one

Where do you have to cut it?

Here's the pic

Attachments

• 0 143.jpg
    0 143.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 719
It's been a good 6 years since John at TRE showed me where to cut, but this is about where it is. Just go straight in with your cutter and once you get deep enough, the outter sheel will come free from the center. Then, clean up both center pieces and weld them together along the seam. The viscous fluid smells pretty bad too, so be prepared.

Attachments

• vce.jpg
    vce.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,038
on the inside of the red line?

Ok tomorrow i'll start on this and see what happens.

Viscous after cutting.

Attachments

• 0 144.jpg
    0 144.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,172
  • 0 145.jpg
    0 145.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,015
  • 0 146.jpg
    0 146.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,060
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this but will this make the car RWD, FWD or 50/50 AWD?

and a pic of the vce done. I just used a 110 mig with gas but make sure before you weld to clean it very good.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this but will this make the car RWD, FWD or 50/50 AWD?

It will lock your drive train. then you can take the tcase out to make it fwd. Our I guess you could take the front axels out and it would be rwd.

Ps. If you have a welded center diff you need to put the pieces on the trans and tac it together so it will be clocked right.

Attachments

• 0 147.jpg
    0 147.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 943
So if you left all the axles in place it would be an even 50/50 split front and rear?

The reason I ask is I've never really liked the FWD biased AWD systems, an even 50/50 split all the time seems like it could eliminate what few traction problems high HP AWDs have.

Isn't welding it up basically what was done here?
VISCOUS COUPLING ELIMINATOR (VCE)

Yes it locks it so yes 50/50 and it is the same thing that shep sells for 100$ But its not good to run it all the time unless you have a welded center diff.

Thanks. I like your compound set up.

is this okay to do with a 4 spyder center diff? and what are the down sides to locking in 50/50 for street use? does this create wheel hop? i thought wheel hop was accociated with center diff welding. anyway i think i need to do this because i keep spinning the front tires off at the line.

is this okay to do with a 4 spyder center diff? and what are the down sides to locking in 50/50 for street use? does this create wheel hop? i thought wheel hop was accociated with center diff welding. anyway i think i need to do this because i keep spinning the front tires off at the line.

Have you ever thought of spending money on setting your suspension up the right way? Judging by what's posted in your profile, your setup is far from optimum as far as getting any kind of traction on street tires at the track goes.

And I'm pretty sure welding the viscus coupler doesnt just make it fwd. it makes you have 4wd and with that you can choose to drop the drive shaft and be fwd. am i correct?

A welded VC or VCE (same thing) will make the car a true 50/50 split with the TC left in place. It will also allow you to remove the transfercase and run the car as FWD if the driveshaft is removed, or on a dyno stationary.

So instead of putting a band-aid on your problem by welding your VC, why not fix the problem and put that suspension on your car?

Band aid?? If welding it give you a 50 50 distribution of power to the front and rear? Why is that a band aid?

I dont need to be fwd for anything magnus's dyno is awd. I wanted to do this only for better 60'

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back