The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

viscous coupler on a welded diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momar

10+ Year Contributor
May 31, 2010
Decatur, Illinois
Any tips for this. I cant get the splines to turn so they will line up.

Can anyone tell me how to turn the splines in the coupler so that I can get it to go on the diff?

I believe the VC can be cut in order to fit properly. Otherwise, a VC eliminator can be installed. TRE sells them.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I shouldnt have to cut the visous. The 2 splined sections turn seprately, its just to stiff that I cant get it by hand. Also, with the eliminator, those dont turn at all, and since my diff is already welded, unless, it just happens to be welded in the same position as the coupler, there is no way I could use that. I was just wondering if someone knew how I could get the splines in the coupler to turn manually so that I could line it up.

Where did you get your center differential welded? They should have lined it up so the Viscous coupler or a VCE will just slide on.

It's hard when the diff wasn't welded correctly. You slide it on until it stops, put the trans in two gears at once, to lock the shafts, and twist it until the second set of splines will go on a little. It's still probably going to take a hammer to get it seated fully.

Where did you get your center differential welded? They should have lined it up so the Viscous coupler or a VCE will just slide on.

To be honest, when it was welded, they did line it up in the viscous coupler. The coupler was on it when I picked it up. Not sure how it got out of line, but when I went to put it on the trans it wouldnt go back on. I ended up grabbing the lower set of splines with a pair of vice grips and letting them rest up against one of the case bolts. I then just held it on the upper splines and twisted till it went.

Thanks for the suggestions though guys.

Im trying to reinstall the viscous coupler and can't seem to get it to go down, right now its flush against the VC and I can't install C-clip yet

i could not get my vc on after i welded my center diff so i just tack welded the shaft in it been working fine for 5k miles

I still have a open diff n i want to keep it stock. Why does hammering not work? Looked it up says 3 lb rubber mallet but that ain't working bout to take to tyranny shop have then close it up

I just did this last night and the way to get the VC on is to rotate the VC to try th different splines, because theres only a certain way it will fit on. Its just a lot of trial and error. I didn't have to use a hammer or lock any gears just find the "sweet spot" where it falls into place.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back