The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

viscous coupler welding?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swifteagle

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 18, 2012
livingston, Texas
Anyone know if you can just weld the up the back of the viscous to make a vce for dyno use? Or do you have to turn it down and then weld it.

It was worth about .2 in the 60' for me when I was trapping 124ish getting a best of 1.65 with an average of 1.70, from a 1.80 before, and a 1.85 average. Now at 133 i can't get it below 1.75.

I have my car at school right now as my only car, it hurts drive-ability, but it's not the end of the world. Just gotta be careful in parking lots and such.

I run a VCE on a 2 spider, but going back to a non locked 4 spider when I get qtp's

Band aid?? If welding it give you a 50 50 distribution of power to the front and rear? Why is that a band aid?

I dont need to be fwd for anything magnus's dyno is awd. I wanted to do this only for better 60'

Band-aiding a suspension problem by trying to add more traction through a welded viscous coupling. Fix the source of the problem. Set up your suspension correctly for a better 60'. If you can't get into the high 1.7's on street tires there's a few things you need to take a look at (suspension, driver mod, etc.)

Don't drive the car around with just a vce, it will put extra stress on a non welded center diff.

Also, a welded diff is not a bandaid. All serious drag dsms run a welded center diff.

What about with a 4 spyder center? Is there any problem using a VCE and driving around on a 4 spyder instead of welded?

Jist would like a little bit of info, the car will be mainly a track only car but it will have some street duty also. Binding up and wheel hop/drag sounds like shit. Maybe i will avoid this.

Welded diff/no power steering I feel go hand in hand.

Broke the diff at the track one time, left the line and my car did a burn out with the front tires? I was like WTF? Looked underneath blew a hole in the trans casing from the fragments. Drove it 1 hour home with no fluid. Thought for sure it was done, when I opened the trans up. Carefully inspected everything, every tiny crumb of steel from the shattered spider gear removed from all moving parts. Had center and casing welded, all bearings and other parts were surprisingly not harmed or worn!? Trans still runs and shifts like butter today.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back