The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Vibration

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon85

Probationary Member
Sep 13, 2002
Kennesaw, Georgia
I have a vibration between 3 - 4K rpm. You feel it through the dash and shifter. It's a hard buzz. It's felt while in motion and not at idle revving. I have changed all the motor and trans mounts and it's still there. My next step is to check all the nuts and bolts in the shifter console area. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!!

I did have a shop just take it all apart and fix some leaks in the front cover. The timing belts and everything else were done not too long ago. I no longer trust this shop even though they are well known with a good reputation. They have said that it was the motor mounts but they wanted way too much to do this. Plus they put the wrong oil filter on and bent the dip stick. I did the mount replacements myself. It wasn't mounts. I guess I may have to call the shop back to see if they will stand behind their work.

Hmmm, as others said, it does sound like balance shaft belt but you would notice that pretty much immediately after the timing belt job. Check to see if the timing belt cover to see if one of the belts isn't rubbing on it, or maybe check the crank pulley? Basically any of the areas they touched.

I did have a shop just take it all apart and fix some leaks in the front cover. The timing belts and everything else were done not too long ago. I no longer trust this shop even though they are well known with a good reputation. They have said that it was the motor mounts but they wanted way too much to do this. Plus they put the wrong oil filter on and bent the dip stick. I did the mount replacements myself. It wasn't mounts. I guess I may have to call the shop back to see if they will stand behind their work.
If they did that wrong wonder what the chances are they got the tension correct. I HATE shops as unless they specialize in this they always seem to screw it up or use the "good enough" rule.

Hmmm, as others said, it does sound like balance shaft belt but you would notice that pretty much immediately after the timing belt job. Check to see if the timing belt cover to see if one of the belts isn't rubbing on it, or maybe check the crank pulley? Basically any of the areas they touched.
If it will ever stop raining around here,,,,I will get back under it and do a visual on everything and tighten everything that I can touch!

Did they remove the front cover? If the shop removed the belts it’s easy to reinstall the belt with the balance shaft 180 degrees out of position, there’s a bolt you can remove on the block and by inserting a long Phillips screw driver you’ll know baesd on how far you can insert it, then you just rotate the balance shaft pulley another turn and your good. How mechanicaly inclined are you? stmtuned sells a timing belt kit with the special tools you need to do the job, there’s an awesome 2 part old school video on you tube that helped me with mine. If this shop isn’t willing to correct there mistake it’s great to learn to fix it yourself:thumb: Then there’s no else to blame:D

if you feel the vibration in motion and not while reving
maybe propellershaft isue?
I just caught this. If you can't feel it when crossing through the rev range standing still it isnt a balance shaft. I assume you mean you're revving up several thousand standing still

I just caught this. If you can't feel it when crossing through the rev range standing still it isnt a balance shaft. I assume you mean you're revving up several thousand standing still
I do not feel the vibration while revving it up in idle.

Did they remove the front cover? If the shop removed the belts it’s easy to reinstall the belt with the balance shaft 180 degrees out of position, there’s a bolt you can remove on the block and by inserting a long Phillips screw driver you’ll know baesd on how far you can insert it, then you just rotate the balance shaft pulley another turn and your good. How mechanicaly inclined are you? stmtuned sells a timing belt kit with the special tools you need to do the job, there’s an awesome 2 part old school video on you tube that helped me with mine. If this shop isn’t willing to correct there mistake it’s great to learn to fix it yourself:thumb: Then there’s no else to blame:D
They did remove the front cover. Where's the bolt that you speak of? I'm pretty adept, I've changed out my turbo before and rebuilt my ps pump but the whole timing belt/interference engine thing scares me! I should probably bite the bullet and learn to do it myself though!

Hey man, just re checked my chilton, the bolt is on the backside of the block. When I did mine the motor was out, but it can still be checked with the engine in the car. I highly recommend searching “6 bolt 4g63 timing belt replacement” on YouTube, they show this procedure at the beginning of part 2. If the shop didn’t do this there’s always that 50 percent chance the shaft was out of phase even with the marks lined up

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm having a similar issue. Timing and balance shaft belts replaced less than 1000 miles ago, and then clutch, trans and flywheel just replaced. Now I'm getting a strange vibration felt in and out of the RPM range. Around 2500 then 3500-4000, but it can still be felt in neutral. I feel it in the gas pedal and shifter, almost the entire car. Mechanic says it might be mounts shifted and aren't good after the trans was replaced. Could it be balance shafts out of whack??

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm having a similar issue. Timing and balance shaft belts replaced less than 1000 miles ago, and then clutch, trans and flywheel just replaced. Now I'm getting a strange vibration felt in and out of the RPM range. Around 2500 then 3500-4000, but it can still be felt in neutral. I feel it in the gas pedal and shifter, almost the entire car. Mechanic says it might be mounts shifted and aren't good after the trans was replaced. Could it be balance shafts out of whack??
Yes it can. It's very easy to screw this job up if you aren't familiar with the specifics. balance shaft out of phase is pretty easy to check but you have to take off the covers to have a look.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back