The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Venting to the atmosphere?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Silent2g
heres a little tid bit of info regarding a vpc and a dsm

you have two options.
crappy daily driving on low boost, but great at the track
crappy track time, or great daily driver

id suggest a pms over a vpc on a dsm

venting the bov works on some dsm's not a lot fo them, the computer is set up different on all of them. some will take it, some won't. depends on tolerances of the ecm at that time, also weather plays a lot of havoc on those too. id go into detail, but im not all there right now

Umm, I have a VPC and I get nice daily driving on low boost:D
I suggest a VPC anyday on a 1G.:D

you can vent to atmosphere with the greddy type S bov by tightening the spring, just leave 4-5 threads of the screw out, be carefull not to tighten the screw to much becouse you'll get compressure surge..

i have a hks super sqv blow off, and i vent to the atmosphere...and the car runs fine.....well at least from my experience, i installed it two days ago...and ran it hard last nite (saturday) against a 99 Prelude and A4 1.8T (2001 chipped)....smoked them both, and still had the nice addition of a beautiful psssssssssstttt everytime i shifted. but i mean, i guess it's different when it comes to the greddy type s. take it easy.

Jeph

Post 79 and 80, you two are all-star DSM Tooners. I hope that someday I am as insightful and accurate as you two.

A '99 Prelude and Audi 1.8T? Wow, your mother must be proud.

When I bought my GS-T, it had a Blitz BOV. It vented to atm and it sounded great. Problem, it sounded great to the cops too. Here in California (and coming to most states), modifying the BOV is illegal. On my GS-X (after knowing this) I bought the HKS SSQV, and recirc kit. I ran it without the kit for a couple days and it was comparable to the old Blitz. After I added the recirc kit, a whole new world opened up. I love it. Yes, I lose the cool PSHT sound. Who cares, I found a neat side bonus. YOU DON'T LOSE BOOST BETWEEN SHIFTS. With the Blitz, I had spool problems because the turbo had to rebuild 15+ psi to get back at where it was before shifting. Now, the needle pegs right back to 15psi (my daily driving limit) as soon as I let the clutch back out. It actually made me faster on the track since I didn't loose that pressure. I recommend to everyone (and not for the EPA) that you recirc your air.

Huh :confused: I don't have any problems like that maybe you just shift slow as $hit. Work on your driving skills SPARKY! Even if their was a decent difference it would do nothing but help a FWD since it would put less power to the wheels while shifting and you wouldn't spin the tires as bad.

Mario

i was thinking about getting a vpc. i found one for $950. i was told i should probably get an afc if i were going to get a vpc, but if you add the prices of them both you are better off getting a stand-alone unit instead.

Yes and no. I've heard a lot of complaints about how long it takes to tune a stand alone system. I plan on getting one myself, but I'm a very patient person for tuning. The best compromise I've heard of is the DSMLink.

Well, the version 2.0 of DSMLink is supposed to be able to ELIMINATE the MAS and do VPC style system. I'm looking to venting in the future, I suggest you get the Link as all new versions are free to upgrade to if you already have it.

venting to atm is inefficent. your turbo is working overtime to pull in all that air, and you have air in the system that has already been through the airfilter (restriction) and gone through all the piping (restriction) why get rid of all the 'clean' air ? If you want a small blow of sound, then run a smaller hose off the bov recirc line with a check valve (optional) and vent that to the atm. should make an interesting sound, also could run this atm vent line out of the engine compartment to get more sound to the ext of the car.
Just a thought.

Originally posted by tjh-dsm
Well, the version 2.0 of DSMLink is supposed to be able to ELIMINATE the MAS and do VPC style system. I'm looking to venting in the future, I suggest you get the Link as all new versions are free to upgrade to if you already have it.

but to effectively run a VPC it requires new sensors doesnt it?? so is this something else you'd have to purchase?? I have a DSMlink on order so Im curious..

I have an HKS SSQV that vents to atmosphere.. the car runs great and I love the sound... I speed shift when I race so the BOV doesn't open between shifts so their ISN'T ANY PERFORMANCE LOST by venting to the atmophere when I race! and I get a great sound while I cruise around the city. Best of both worlds.
BTW I did try the recirculation fitting and I hated it.. took it off 2 days later, no performance gains while racing and no sound while cruising around.

and why is it illegal to vent to the atmophere ? is it because the car runs rich between shifts ? or because of the sound ?

Nexius.

Many reasons why the (annoying) EPA says that venting is illegal...the same reasons why putting ANY BOV THAT IS NOT STOCK on your car is illegal. When it vents the EPA says that it can pull unburnt fuel vapor from the manifold and puts it in the atmosphere...yeah right, but whatever. The TB plate is blocking that off almost 100% (not quite) so I doubt an appreciable amount gets through, but to them it doesn't matter how much. The momentary "run rich," of course, puts out more emissions and this is the biggest thing they are hitting on. I tried fighting it when I bought my GST since the previous owner had put a Blitz on it. In no way was any testing place willing to give me a go. When I got the HKS SSQV and recirc kit, they b***hed and balked but agreed since I made an obvious effort to keep their asses clean (note, not my ass). When I later got a ticket for "illegal modifications" at a street race I was sent to an EPA referee and we talked for a long time. There are more reasons listed but those are the two I can remember right now. Most cops don't know the law to the real extent, and even more dont' mind the occasional "whoosh" so long as you aren't doing other stupid crap on their roads. This is all in reference to San Diego mind you.

Larry,

This is a dirrect quote from Buschur's website:

HKS Vein Pressure Converter (VPC)

The VPC is a fuel computer system that replaces the factory Mass Airflow Sensor (MAS) setup with a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) assembly and controller. The benefit of this conversion is that the flow of the intake system is improved by eliminating the restrictive factory MAS sensor assembly.
This modification allows the blow-off valve to be vented to the atmosphere for better performance and sound, as well as allows the use of a much larger, better flowing air filter assembly and larger injectors (if using larger injectors, request the custom Buschur Racing PROM for larger than stock injectors).
When mated with the HKS GCC, fuel trims are adjustable throughout the entire RPM range.
The VPC is used on ALL of Buschur Racing's cars, and with a replacable PROM can be used on everything from stock-appearing cars to strip-only monsters!
When compared with less-sophisticated A/F controllers, the VPC requires much LESS tuning - and can better deal with a wide variety of driving conditions, while providing a much higher level of performance potential.

Answer to your question, yes you would need to make other purchases. I might also add that the VPC is on ALL of Buschur's cars. The first time I took my car to them for work Dan highly recomended the VPC. When I asked him what type of fuel control he recomended, I believe his word's were "VPC is the best form of fuel control. Everything else is the cheapest form of fuel control." I'm still kicking myself in the a$$ for not splurging and getting the VPC because I had the money at the time. I bought Apexi AFC and don't dislike it, but I loved the sound the BOV made vented to the atmosphere when I tried it. Add that to the performance gains and its reason enough for me to want it. Who am I (or anyone for that matter) to argue with Dan Buschur.

http://www.buschurracing.com/buschur/BRwebsite.nsf/Stages?OpenFrameSet

yes thats what i figured, to eliminate the MAP you would need some type of VPC.. thats why I was wondering how DSMlink was planning on doing it as stated above

at the shootout i saw a guy with the aem ems system, was running speed density (no mas) and open bov. for the price of the plug and play system- it cant be beat.

I bought my car with the bov already on it. I'm not sure if it's hooked up right. does anyone have a pic of how it should look or even just tell me what hoses should connect where. It's a greddy type-s I thinks...the purple one.

the nipple on top ov the bov is the boost/vacum refrence port, it goes to the intake, either behind the fuel rail or on the top, depending on the 1g or 2g diffrence. the nipple on the bottom of the bov SHOLUD have a bronze colored filter on the nipple and go to the atmosphere. then the exhaust from the bov can either dump to the atmosphere or back into the intake via the dump tube.

Originally posted by insane147
the nipple on the bottom of the bov SHOLUD have a bronze colored filter on the nipple and go to the atmosphere.

WRONG!!!

Unless you are running 30psi during a drag run, and power shifting, that bottom port must have a boost signal just like the top one. What most people don't realize is that is the equalization port just like the stock BOV has, only the stockers is under the flange so you can't see it. Your BOV is going to be really "stiff" without a boost signal going to that port, this can be good for racing with high boost but on the street it's bad.

then the exhaust from the bov can either dump to the atmosphere or back into the intake via the dump tube.

WRONG!!!

It's supposed to go back into the intake. Maybe you will have issues if it's not, maybe you won't, either way, it's wrong to vent it to the atmosphere from a theoretical standpoint.

insane147, what is your problem? Don't pass garbage on as the truth.

if you want noise, they sell electric bov's for hondas now, just buy one of those...
...sorry to be rude about it, but you can, or may, get away with it on your car if your car likes being vented, but without a map sensor setup, i think it is impossible to find a 'set rule' for all cars.

I dunno what most of you are talking about.. but my car idles/runs normal... even since my friend hooked up a crushed 1G bov on mine(1G) 6 months ago. He told me it was OK to vent and so was done. It sounds real nice and even better when i installed my 2.5" UIP. Sound is as good as aftermarket BOV. -- only thing i get bad gas mileage but F*k it!

Originally posted by tsi_turboawd
I dunno what most of you are talking about.. but my car idles/runs normal... even since my friend hooked up a crushed 1G bov on mine(1G) 6 months ago. He told me it was OK to vent and so was done. It sounds real nice and even better when i installed my 2.5" UIP. Sound is as good as aftermarket BOV. -- only thing i get bad gas mileage but F*k it!

:mad:

Another lost soul. I wish the admins would start banning these people.

Why do you people not understand that when you vent to the atmosphere, even if you can't "feel", "see", or otherwise notice the problem, that you are losing power? Since most of you venters lack knowledge, and theirfore power, you cannot afford to give up any of the power you are making when you vent to the atmosphere. Make 450whp and then you can vent all you want because you have plenty of power to spare.

None of you people have gone to the dragstrip made a run with a vented BOV and then recirculated it and made another run to see the actual difference. You have no data/reasoning other than "my car seems to run fine" so you need to shut up. Until you have verified the difference at a dragstrip stop spreading your bad info.

YOU ARE WRONG AND DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back