The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Upper and Lower timing cover on G4CS swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChessmoDSM

Proven Member
Apr 22, 2017
Burlington, Vermont
Hello DSMTuner brethren,

I need some advise regard a 4GCS 6 bolt swap in my 92 1G AWD Laser, it seems neither the Upper Cover (holes don't line up) nor the lower cover (it doesn't fit at all really, a few holes line up but its a very tight fit) can be used, am I incorrect in that assumption (e.g is there some type of modification that needs to be made to both)?? We are using the Cam gears out of 94 Galant and the proper G4CS Timing Belt in relation to the swap, which is supposedly the correct procedure.

Not running an upper cover doesn't worry me much as I have seen many people who have done so, but not running a lower timing cover does not seem like a smart thing to do, nor is it something I really want to do at the end of the day..

Does anyone who has done or been exposed to this swap have any advice on how to overcome this hurdle? This swap has over $10k into it with brand new everything so I really don't feel like worrying about if a rock or some other foreign entity shreds my timing belt and destroys my new head.

Appreciate the time and input!!

Last edited:
I have no idea what it looks like, exactly, or what you're needing. But the early 2.4L G4CS used Hyundai PN 21350-32510 which has been replaced by 21350-32600. There's a listing on eBay for $33.50 - like I said, no idea if that's what you're looking for or not.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The matching upper PN is 21360-32600 though I don't find a picture for it anywhere.

Last edited:
I have no idea what it looks like, exactly, or what you're needing. But the early 2.4L G4CS used Hyundai PN 21350-32510 which has been replaced by 21350-32600. There's a listing on eBay for $33.50 - like I said, no idea if that's what you're looking for or not.

The matching upper PN is 21360-32600 though I don't find a picture for it anywhere.
this cover is a sohc cover, and unless the op decided to build a $10k sohc motor, i would highly doubt it would work, the gears on a sohc are not as wide so the cover is gonna rub on the belt and gears if you use a sohc cover, if it were me I'd try this part number at a Hyundai dealer 2135033131

Last edited:
this cover is a sohc cover, and unless the op decided to build a $10k sohc motor, i would highly doubt it would work, the gears on a sohc are not as wide so the cover is gonna rub on the belt and gears if you use a sohc cover, if it were me I'd try this part number at a Hyundai dealer 2135033131
The part no you gave was for a 94-95 1.8 liter Sonata so I don't think that will work either..

Its closer because its for a dohc, but its listed for a 2.0 and kdm 2.4 dohc sonata, they never made a 1.8 sonata, at least not in the US.
but from what i have heard most guys using the 2.4 6 bolt g4cs with 1g dsm dohc oil pump and such, run a 1g 6 bolt timing cover, perhaps the cover you tried to fit on the engine was off of a 7 bolt 1g if you have the part number on the back of the cover you tried check to see if that comes up for an 89-92 or 92-94, 1g dsm it might also help to know what oil pump and water pump you are using.
The part no you gave was for a 94-95 1.8 liter Sonata so I don't think that will work either..

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back