The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink Upgraded injectors, rich idle, o2 not cycling

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96dsmftw

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2011
Richmond, Kentucky
1). Any boost, vac, or exhaust leaks?
Boost leak tested 5psi above your max boost with no leaks?
Yes

2). Verified mechanical timing?

3). Verified base timing?

4). Ignition system
COP or Stock Coil:stock
Wire brand and Age:ng, 1yr
Spark Plug brand, type and Gap: ngk 0.28

5). Motor health (Compression Test)
not checked
6). Performed basic throttle body adjustments?
Idle Switch: good
Throttle Cable: good
TPS: good
BISSOMGk

7). Compression ratio
stock 7 bolt

8). Any known bad sensors or brittle wiring?
no
9). Any DTC/CEL codes?
normal emissions stuff taken out

10). Electrical system
Car off (not running):
Car running:

11). Base fuel pressure and injector values
Base Fuel Pressure: stock
Injector Size (cc/min): PTE 880cc

12). Properly calibrated and configured wideband sensor
Sensor Brand: AEM
Calibration Date:

13). Type of fuel
Type: stock
Percent of Ethanol:

14). Watched ECMlink how-to videos?

yes multiple times

I just finished installing PTE 880's in the car. While it was apart I also ported the turbine housing on the 16g as well. The injectors were sold to me as 680's however the serial number on them, which I confirmed on the base injector data website of ECMLink, are actually 880's. I have tried both Global and deadtime settings for the injectors and no change in rich idle. This is my first real tuning experience if you will. I had the idle set well and cruise set well when I was on stock injectors. O2 readings were normal at idle. I put it all together and did my first BLT on the car since I've had it. Many leaks fixed. Started the car and let it warm up and the O2 sensor never cycles at idle but will at cruise.

Everything else looks right except the O2 sensor readings and my CombinedFT isn't moving around like it did, probably because of the O2. Could this all be because the battery was disconnected and the ECU is in some kind of learn mode? This log is also after cruising around for a bit. It also idles very well, suprisingly.

Attachments

• new inj idle.elg
    33.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Here is another log from a cold start until warm. Around 110 sec it tries to cycle and then looks like it gives up. Around 270sec is the idle condition I experience when warm. Nothing but idle until warm after 270sec.

Attachments

• log.11.16.2015.18.48-01.elg
    399.1 KB · Views: 59
I didn't think your idle would ever come down. Does it always stay that high for that long? Your idle position goes to 5 when it should be at 30, tps is at .61 when it should be .63. Fuel trims aren't to bad at +5 but should try to get closer to 0. Also ecmtuning has the deadtime at 420 not the 465. Also your battery may be dying as it's at 11.5v and that's terrible should be at least 13 plus. You can also uncheck the disable maf with sd.

Here is another one. Got the TPSVolts at 0.63. Didn't even notice the isc position before. I got it to 27/28. All the way screwed in. AirflowPerRev is about 0.25. Now my question is the combined FT. The video says to increase deadtime to decrease that value, so I need to decrease deadtime to make that number go up. But -30% seems like an awful lot... And the idle was from a cold start until it got warm, thats why it took so long

Attachments

• log.11.16.2015.20.28-01.elg
    39.1 KB · Views: 59
Even cold to warm the idle shouldn't stay that high for that long. Also your fuel trims are way off. As a rule for LTFT Lo if the number is positive lower the injectors size, and if it's negative raise injector size. STFT- if the number is positive add deadtime and if negative remove deadtime.

Edit: info came out of a youtube video on maf/sd tuning

Last edited:
Much better now. I didnt know about using global for LTFT Lo and deadtime for STFT. The only thing is the ECMLink website the global is -45%, deadtime 420, but the calculator says its -49% global for 880's. Anyways, I wound up at -57% global and 360 deadtime. Are these too far off? The global value is like 1100cc territory. Thanks for the help by the way.

Attachments

• log.11.16.2015.22.20-01.elg
    26.7 KB · Views: 49
Stock fuel pump and regulator. Will it make a difference if its just at idle/cruise? I know I'll run out of fuel at wot. I'll retry the tune keeping global the same.

Try this one on for size. I tried to stay away from the Global, wound up having to after getting STFT to 0 with deadtime. Only had to move it a little though from 49%.

Attachments

• log.11.17.2015.21.14-02.elg
    23.5 KB · Views: 54
Good job:thumb: looks much better. Now log mafcomp so we can adjust your maf to line your aem wideband to match afratioest. Shows lean and values need to be adjusted around plus 5 to 8. Want to get the the wb factor to around 0 now. Also manually adjust your tps settings to get to .63 keeps going to .65

Adjust maf at idle? Won't that throw off the stft and ltft's? I read a how to about adjusting the wbfactor at higher rpm/WOT after you mentioned it.

Ok so I went out and adjusted the wbfactor. I read if wbfactor reads 5% add that much in MAF. However, I had a good idle wbfactor and the next day i was idling (warm car) and it was another 4-5% off. My wideband is still in stock rear O2 location and I am fairly certain this is throwing things off. I have the 3" catback with a neck down to stock cat location. On monday I am going to get it cut and welded to full 3" and the flange clocked to fit the 3" PR downpipe. I have been lazy to getting this done. I am going to get a bung welded so the wideband will be a little behind the flex section. I will try the WBFACTOR calibration after I do that on Monday. Appreciate all the knowledge you are dropping on me as well! :thumb:

Hey no problem at all we have to learn somehow. Yes, if wb factor shows +5% at 50hz you add 5 to the mafcomp. You match the mafcomp hz to the need wbfactor. When you do a idle or cruise log you can just right click and auto adjust mafcomp. However, it's best to learn how to manually adjust the values. Remember if wbfactor is + add to mafcomp sliders and - take away from sliders.

Ok so exhaust is done. They actually welded the downpipe to the midpipe so its one long piece, that might get annoying but less spots for exhaust leaks. Also they didn't move the rear O2(wideband) up like I asked so it is still in stock rear location. This is gonna make the tune a little inaccurate, should I run like +\- 2% or something to make up for it being so far away? I'm gonna retune air starting at idle and double check fuel again.

Ok so exhaust is done. They actually welded the downpipe to the midpipe so its one long piece, that might get annoying but less spots for exhaust leaks. Also they didn't move the rear O2(wideband) up like I asked so it is still in stock rear location. This is gonna make the tune a little inaccurate, should I run like +\- 2% or something to make up for it being so far away? I'm gonna retune air starting at idle and double check fuel again.

The wideband in the rear is fine, the tune will be ok. Just a little slower at reading the afrs. Just upload an idle log with the maf comp being logged then a cruise log.

Ok so now I am really confused. Take a look at this. All I did was adjust the maf sliders for the WBFactor. Look at the values I had to adjust the MAF Sliders. I might zero everything out, put the suggested deadtimes and global in and start again. My global keeps wanting to go higher and deadtimes lower. I am certain the injectors are 880s not 1200s haha. And its lean at idle

Attachments

• log.11.24.2015.19.24-01.elg
    17.4 KB · Views: 66
Here are the logs. My idle looks like it did, same with cruise. I used the ecu data from the Nov. 17 log. The WBFactor during idle is now way off, more than it was. Im gonna recheck the connection at the o2 housing to downpipe. So the only thing that has changed is the exhaust now has no connections for a test pipe.

Attachments

• log.11.24.2015.21.05-01.elg
    707.1 KB · Views: 55
  • log.11.24.2015.21.21-01.elg
    27.2 KB · Views: 54
Looks like we need to add + 20 to the 50hz, 100hz, and 150hz but at times it looks good sometime its not. Injectors need work first. Pte 880 is like 840 so global is -47 deadtime around 420 so try that and get an idle log. Play with the deadtime but not the global. Here's my number 8126393213 can text if need more real time help.

Here is another log. I got the downpipe bolts to tighten 1-2 turns..... knew I should have double checked when I got home. WBFactor is much better now. Ill try putting the fuel stuff back and only mess with deadtime though.

Attachments

• log.11.24.2015.21.56-01.elg
    17.6 KB · Views: 58
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back